adjustable levers

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Jul 2010 17:07 #380658 by hocbj23
adjustable levers was created by hocbj23
OK so I just received an adjustable brake and clutch lever from a 99 zx6.Someone on here posted that they had modded these pieces to fit a KZ1000.Anyone got a process or a pic(s) to assist me.Thanks as usual for ur help.bj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Jul 2010 17:12 #380660 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic adjustable levers
Bumperooskie.I do not intend to run a juice clutch,so all I need are hints on changing the clutch safety switch from the old round Kaw style to the 3 pin unit on the ZR6,and also what did u do about the mastercylinder hook up.thanks again.bj

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Jul 2010 13:27 #380822 by hocbj23
bump

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2010 12:56 #381111 by hocbj23
anyone?

More
08 Jul 2010 22:52 #381217 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic adjustable levers
I sure hope someone gives you some advice. I've been thinking about buying a ZX6 clutch lever perch for my 77 KZ1000 and I hadn't thought about the safety switch. If you figure something out, please share it.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Jul 2010 02:37 #381232 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic adjustable levers
can you just eliminate the switches and wires and then just crimp or tape together and trick the connections where they meet the harness by the coils...then it makes no difference as long as it is a threadedadjustment type clutch perchfrom then on... imo....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2010 03:44 #381233 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic adjustable levers
Easiest way is to bypass the starter lockout switch altogether. Follow the leads from you current clutch perch assembly. There will be 2 black wires in the main harness that you just plug together. Switch eliminated.

If you want to run the lockout setup, I believe it's the two outside wires on the zx6 switch that have continuity when the lever is pulled in. Check it with an ohm meter to be sure.

It's a simple installation guys....

All the starter lockout does is provide continuity for voltage to the starter relay ONLY when the clucth is pulled in. It just interrupts the normal circuit path by passing voltage through that switch.

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Jul 2010 12:12 #381278 by hocbj23
OK i got it.I am going to just eliminate the lockout.Did u use the brake mastercylinder from the ZX6 or is there a way to use the one on the kz perch?bj

More
18 Jul 2010 08:39 - 18 Jul 2010 08:41 #383596 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic adjustable levers
Excerpt below is from this link > Wunderlich 'Vario' Adjustable Lever Set

Product Review: Wunderlich 'Vario' Adjustable Lever Set

I suffer from small digits. Fortunately they are confined to my hands. Yes... I have short fingers and from the day I bought my 06 K1200S I have been silently complaining about both the strong clutch pull and long distance from the factory levers to grips. Had considered the Evoluzione Clutch Slave Cylinder Kit to lessen the pull until I saw the waaay trick looking 'Vario' Adjustable Lever Set offered exclusively from BMW of Santa Cruz. In theory they could possibly solve my problem and add a little bling to my bike. Worth a shot.

Just before the BRPR, I ordered, received, and installed the high priced Vario levers on my K1200S. First impressions?..The workmanship is better than most aftermarket levers. Install was relatively painless taking all of about 1/2 hour with simple tools and chimp-like abilities. The instructions are surprisingly good. The Varios come in a head-spinning variety of color combinations. For adjustments..the end of each lever is adjustable in and out. You also have the adjustable Vario spin wheel as well as the factory adjustment screw (which switches over to the Varios) for an infinite amount of adjustment possibilities. I would theorize that any human could come up with multiple positions that would be better than factory. FYI.. I was VERY leery of the purchase due to the high price (about $200 for the pair) but now that I've had a chance to use them.. I'm blown away. How do they compare to stock? I knew you'd ask so I did before and after measurements and came up with this..

Clutch Side: Before.. 55mm at closest point / After.. 40mm

Brake Side: Before.. 47mm at closest point / After..40mm

That's a substantial difference, IMHO The smoothness of the factory levers vs the feel of the sculpted grip of the Varios was a non-issue for me.. I'm 100% happy with mine and yes.. they solved my short fingers problem. For what it's worth, I think they are worth every freakin' penny. My 2 doubloons.

There's an article in the latest issue of MotorCyclist magazine about using these levers on a BMW model.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2010 08:41 by Patton.

More
18 Jul 2010 09:00 #383600 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic adjustable levers
Interesting!!,I had been looking for something like this, Had seen the Clutch Hydraulic conversion kit for my Z1-B but frankly just too expensive,
I did notice Z1E had a manual type of kit for around $128 for clutch that supposed to increase leverage and thus ease clutch lever pull effort.
Have additional problem on mine with too much slack in brake lever even after the eccentric bolt fully adjusted.
Appreciate the info.Any thoughts on reliability / durability of these? Would they fit a stock Z1-B 900?
Did you have to replace the Clutch Lever "Perch"? No Mods to bike eqpt.required?
thanks!!
ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's