82 GPz Stuck Brake Pedal

More
28 Jun 2010 22:33 #378926 by nicksorg
82 GPz Stuck Brake Pedal was created by nicksorg
The brake pedal is hard to move and won't return when applied. I pulled the petal off and it looks dirty/rusty so I hit it with some PB Blaster. I looked underneath for a grease zerg but didn't see one. It appears that its a single piece that pivots. If that's the case, should I just disconnect the plunger, return spring, etc and lube it up?
Thanks
Nick

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000-K2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2010 23:50 #378929 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 82 GPz Stuck Brake Pedal
Must be the rust. Pump it with a good penetrant and work it until it comes free.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Jul 2010 03:56 #384044 by nicksorg
Replied by nicksorg on topic 82 GPz Stuck Brake Pedal
I hit the shaft with PB for a couple of days and tried working the pedal but it didn't really improve. I took the assembly off the bike and worked the pedal some more. I bought a gallon of WD-40 at Lowes yesterday, came home and soaked the assembly overnight. I took it out this morning and worked it some more. I then tried putting a little grease in and its functioning properly now after installing it back on the bike.
Thanks
Nick

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000-K2

More
20 Jul 2010 06:33 #384060 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic 82 GPz Stuck Brake Pedal
I had the same problem on my 82 750 LTD. I used alot of PB Blaster with no luck. I took the master cylinder and the brake light spring off and had to use a punch and hammer to get the pedal off the bracket! (mine was stuck so bad you couldn't even apply the brake). I just used a wired brush and cleaned the heck outta the pedal and bracket, lube it up and it's been liquid smooth since.

More
20 Jul 2010 12:07 #384120 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 82 GPz Stuck Brake Pedal
Most brake fluids will absorb water from the air(Hydroscopic), changing the fluid at least once a year reduces the moisture in the brake fluid keeping the rusting to a minimum.

If you look inside the reservoirs, you should see two small holes at the bottom, these should be open. If clogged, brake action will be affected either on the pressure stroke or the return.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
21 Jul 2010 06:33 #384310 by nicksorg
Replied by nicksorg on topic 82 GPz Stuck Brake Pedal
After putting the pedal back on, I bled the brakes and seem to have a nice pedal now. I'm going to take a short test drive this week.
Nick

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000-K2

More
24 Jul 2010 06:00 #385213 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic 82 GPz Stuck Brake Pedal
On components like brake and shift shaft pivots, I prefer to use antiseeze. Water eventually breaks down grease, but antiseeze is impervious to water contamination. Even open sealed wheel bearings I mix a 50/50 ratio of synthetic grease and antiseeze. Been doing this on all my bikes for the past 20 years with excellent results.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy