need a lil help !!!! swing arm is the topic.

More
24 Jun 2010 18:50 #378049 by robdtoo
i have an 82 kz 750 and wonderin if an 03 gsxr would be able to be converted cuz ive seen people say they have converted early 90's gsxr 1000 swingarms. any input is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2010 15:16 #378368 by robdtoo
Replied by robdtoo on topic need a lil help !!!! swing arm is the topic.
wow! not everybody at once for god's sake!:cheer:

More
26 Jun 2010 16:01 #378381 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic need a lil help !!!! swing arm is the topic.
Take a deep breath and chill a bit. Not every member checks the board every day, and it just might be that none of the 750 brethren around here have tried this particular combo. That being said, I'm sure that with enough fabricating it can be done. Have you searched the forum for discussions of such a swap?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
28 Jun 2010 09:10 #378739 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic need a lil help !!!! swing arm is the topic.
I'm sure it can be done, the real question is whether or not you're prepared for the amount of work and fabrication it will take to do it. I have 0 experience with a 750, but the frame is still made of steel, so it can be cut, bent and welded to accommodate whichever swingarm you choose B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
28 Jun 2010 11:32 #378757 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic need a lil help !!!! swing arm is the topic.
robdtoo wrote:

i have an 82 kz 750 and wonderin if an 03 gsxr would be able to be converted cuz ive seen people say they have converted early 90's gsxr 1000 swingarms. any input is appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the KZ 750, but I'll add this. As porchev says, it can be done, but the question is at what expense? The first thing that I would do is measure the width of the outside of the swingarm at the pivot for both the KZ and GSXR. If the GSXR swinger is not as wide as the KZ, then its easy. All you have to do is make bushings to adapt, and then mount shock attachment points. If, however, the GSXR pivot is wider, then it becomes much more involved. In my case, the KZ swingarm was wider, and so it worked out. However, I have a KZ1000 and a 95 GSXR swingarm.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
28 Jun 2010 19:21 #378866 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic need a lil help !!!! swing arm is the topic.
As others have mentioned, measure, re-measure and triple measure both existing and planned swing arms... Put plenty of thought into what your planning on accomplishing....

Keep in mind, sprocket change requirements.... Stay away from 5/8ths cc sprocket offsets due to chain to frame clearances... Doesn't mean it can't be accomplished, just means more frame work to work around it....

How much of this work (fabrication/welding) are you planning to do yourself?

How much $$$ are you truly planning on spending?

Then throw into the factoring of front end match... If you want the bike to truly handle optimally with upgraded braking and suspensions, this is also highly recommended...

I know, I know, have seen where this has been stated not required but please... :whistle:

Then there's what are you going to do with your battery box and electrical for most likely will require re-design due to upper mono shock mounting and supports....

Anything can be done with $$$, some fabrication tools and a well thought of plan.... Even with that, expect as we all have "Oh shit, didn't think of that".... :laugh:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az