so what makes an "LTD" an "LTD"?

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
22 Jun 2010 08:54 #377525 by cobura
so what makes an "LTD" an "LTD"? was created by cobura
So while browsing through ebay im always surprised how cheap LTD model KZ's are being sold for. Probably like many others, I prefer the more aggressive sporty look of the earlier kawasakis before the LTD model.

I was just curious, how different is an LTD frame from an earlier kz1000? Would it be difficult to modify parts such as the frame, tank, seat, and suspension etc. to mimic the style of the older bikes? Has anyone done this before? Pictures would be great!

1979 KZ650B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
22 Jun 2010 12:27 #377562 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic so what makes an "LTD" an "LTD"?
Never had an LTD but I do know the frame is different. The LTD has more rake in the front than the KZ

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2010 13:13 #377571 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic so what makes an
why would u want to go to the trouble of modifying an LTD/CSR "J" bike to "the earlier style" bike? Just find an earlier KZ and buy it.Lots less trouble.Or find an 81-82 "J" model (if u can).They look like the earlier KZ bikes and have the 102 hp "J" engine.bj

More
22 Jun 2010 13:38 - 20 Feb 2013 20:27 #377582 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 20:27 by H1Vindicator.

More
22 Jun 2010 14:05 #377584 by csrjoe
Replied by csrjoe on topic so what makes an "LTD" an "LTD"?
to 23; the reason could be as simple as price. for example I purchased my csr in the winter knowing it would need work, got it for a good price and started the process of getting it where I like it to be. But after joining this site, I also wonder how difficult it would be to change the body of my 83 csr to look more like the older bikes. after looking at the tail section mostly they just look better. so my question would be is it possible to put one on over the tail section I have? Hope that made sense

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2010 15:19 #377596 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic so what makes an
Yep.I have an 82 CSR and have a long and short tail section for earlier bikes.No luck in getting it to fit the wider J frame so if u come up with a solution,please let me know. Otakar on here has modified a CSR into an 1100 by the way.bj

More
22 Jun 2010 15:20 - 22 Jun 2010 15:21 #377597 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic so what makes an
H1Vindicator wrote:

Someone here on KZR did a conversion of a CSR1000 into a GPz.
It came out really nice. I tried to find the topic but didn't have any luck... the search function here is the pits.

Yes I did the conversion. No there is not more rake in the LTD frame. There is actually less rake in the newer frames because of the leading axle configuration. Most of the frame is the same the differences come where the side covers are mounted, the way the seat is mounted and there is no tail section on the newer LTD/CSR bikes so there no provisions to mount one. The forks are also different. Here is the link to my thread about my conversion. Keep in mind that a CSR is a cheaper version of the LTD.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=11&id=169462
If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them on my thread.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 22 Jun 2010 15:21 by otakar.

More
22 Jun 2010 22:15 #377681 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic so what makes an
Hey bj, who said it was a cr? I think if I'm not mistaken he didn't say what year. Did I miss something?

If you are talking a 78-80 LTD and not a CSR then yes it would be so easy to change to look like the old style save the sidecovers. But saying that, unless you want the sidecovers to fit from the early z1 you would have to modify the mounts to work. I would do all but that.
The big tanks fit fine, the parts are almost all plug n play. Getting the pieces might be expensive as the earlier z1 stuff is hard to find sometimes.
I think the later kz before the j models are actually better than the original z1 bikes. The frames are better, the charging system. Well, there are many notable differences so if you have no nostalgic attachment other than you want the bike to look like an earlier bike then depending upon what exactly you wanna change. I wouldn't bother with too much more than the rear fender, tail light, tail fin and big tank. If you are talking about the newer models I would say just jack up your gas cap and ride a z1 under it.

Many women have this complex with self-image. They are beautiful in their own way yet they wanna look like what they think men wanna see or another that they admire. Don't let your kz get this complex. It's very ugly. Sure it starts out innoculous but becomes a full blown affliction.
If you were referring to the Jmodel then I'd say pull an Otto on it or go for the street fighter look. No one will cry if you chop the frame on those. Now if you did that to a z1 bike then you would have to be flogged, drawn and quartered for even thinking stupid thoughts like that.:woohoo: :woohoo: :kiss:

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
22 Jun 2010 22:25 #377683 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic so what makes an
saxjonz wrote:

Hey bj, who said it was a cr? I think if I'm not mistaken he didn't say what year. Did I miss something?

If you are talking a 78-80 LTD and not a CSR then yes it would be so easy to change to look like the old style save the sidecovers. But saying that, unless you want the sidecovers to fit from the early z1 you would have to modify the mounts to work. I would do all but that.
The big tanks fit fine, the parts are almost all plug n play. Getting the pieces might be expensive as the earlier z1 stuff is hard to find sometimes.
I think the later kz before the j models are actually better than the original z1 bikes. The frames are better, the charging system. Well, there are many notable differences so if you have no nostalgic attachment other than you want the bike to look like an earlier bike then depending upon what exactly you wanna change. I wouldn't bother with too much more than the rear fender, tail light, tail fin and big tank. If you are talking about the newer models I would say just jack up your gas cap and ride a z1 under it.

Many women have this complex with self-image. They are beautiful in their own way yet they wanna look like what they think men wanna see or another that they admire. Don't let your kz get this complex. It's very ugly. Sure it starts out innoculous but becomes a full blown affliction.
If you were referring to the Jmodel then I'd say pull an Otto on it or go for the street fighter look. No one will cry if you chop the frame on those. Now if you did that to a z1 bike then you would have to be flogged, drawn and quartered for even thinking stupid thoughts like that.:woohoo: :woohoo: :kiss:

later kz better than a z1? blasphemy i say,blasphemy! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
23 Jun 2010 04:33 #377704 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic so what makes an
cobura wrote:

So while browsing through ebay im always surprised how cheap LTD model KZ's are being sold for. Probably like many others, I prefer the more aggressive sporty look of the earlier kawasakis before the LTD model.

I was just curious, how different is an LTD frame from an earlier kz1000? Would it be difficult to modify parts such as the frame, tank, seat, and suspension etc. to mimic the style of the older bikes? Has anyone done this before? Pictures would be great!

Difficulty is a relative term ;) But modifications to the LTD are unlimited. Personaly, I like the smaller tank look of the LTD vs the KZ.

The extra rake was the result of wheel sizes, not steering head mount angle.

This is my version of an LTD
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2010 06:53 #377720 by sramsey216
Replied by sramsey216 on topic so what makes an
This is my version of an LTD [/quote]

*drool....

1980 KZ1000 LTD

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
24 Jun 2010 08:47 #377926 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic so what makes an
wow thats very nice. I am inspired. So basically, to wrap up what everyone is saying, the frame on the LTD's are very similar to the earlier bikes, and modifying them is NOT that difficult? Sounds good to me, i think i will buy an LTD i have my eye on.

In response to what saxjonz wrote, I totally agree that the somewhat later KS's were the nicest. I like the MKII's and Z1-R's the best. What i dont like are the bikes that kawasaki started making in the 80's to look like choppers. Big sofa seats and lowered rears, not for me. I think i will buy this LTD and raise her up a few inches in the back and make a custom tail. I think i will try making my first custom fiberglass fender. I've been reading up on it, i think i can do it! :woohoo:

1979 KZ650B3