GPz Forks ???

More
21 Jun 2010 11:39 #377290 by madmart
GPz Forks ??? was created by madmart
Im presently doing up/modding a KZ750b Twin into a cafe racer (hopefully). However the original forks where badly pitted, so Ive replaced the yokes & forks with a set off a GPZ750 A1 or 2. My question is this : The small hole in the 2 forks that balances the oil/air pressure (the antidive unit has been removed & blocked off ) - will it be okay to plug ???? Hope you can help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2010 19:28 #377419 by steell
Replied by steell on topic GPz Forks ???
That was to balance air pressure between the two fork tubes.
Plug them if you like.

Anti-dive disconnected/removed? Did you cut an oil channel in the lower leg, or in the block-off plate?

KD9JUR

More
22 Jun 2010 14:55 #377593 by madmart
Replied by madmart on topic GPz Forks ???
The antidive has been removed & replaced with a plate. Im not sure if an oil channel has been made - is that important ??

More
24 Jun 2010 07:06 - 24 Jun 2010 07:07 #377909 by steell
Replied by steell on topic GPz Forks ???
Only if you want your forks to work, without some way for oil to flow the forks will just be solid under compression.

Real rough ride :)

Look under that block off plate and you'll see two holes, take the fork tubes to a machine shop and have them connect those two hole with a channel equal in width and depth to the diameter of those two holes.

Or, if the block off plates are thick enough, cut a channel in the block off plate to connect the two holes.

You can use the swing arm off the 83-85 GPz750 by cutting the two lower linkage mounts off the bottom and welding them back on top for shock mounts. Use the two bushings off a GPz900 swing arm along with a self made center spacer to use the 750 twin spindle bolt. Or drill the holes in the frame out to 17mm.

I've got a KZ650 with a GPz750 swing arm where we drilled the frame, and a KZ750E with a GPz750 swing arm where we used the GPz900 spacers instead of drilling the frame holes bigger. Both converted to dual shock. I have another that's probably going on my 750 twin.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 24 Jun 2010 07:07 by steell.

More
25 Jun 2010 07:11 #378132 by madmart
Replied by madmart on topic GPz Forks ???
WOW thanks for all the info. Ive taken the blank plate off & there is no groove in the forks oil-way & the blank plate is only 2mm thk. The oilways have a 'blob' of silicon in them !!!!! so I will be making a new blank plate with a suitable groove in it & have already taken the silicon out. The swingarm swap was getting exciting, only to find that the UK & US specs are slightly different in the pivot area, but I will get some measurements to see if it fits - I already have a GPZ900 swingarm but that is too wide at pivot. Thanks again