swingarm upgrade advice needed

More
17 Jun 2010 11:32 #376347 by jydog
swingarm upgrade advice needed was created by jydog
81 kz1000 LTD - what is the best year (easiest fit), make and model for a monoshock swingarm that is 2+ extended? Im thinking gsxr 1100 but what year? Any Kawasaki arm's fit this critera?

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
17 Jun 2010 13:53 #376365 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic swingarm upgrade advice needed
The hardest part to answering your question is figuring out your definition of "easy". Many member here don't want to or can't do a mono shock swap becasue of the difficulties involved. If the mods required for the mono shock installation aren't too difficult for you, then you should be able to use just about anything you want. It seems you may be looking for a swingarm what is basically plug and play except for the shock mounts?

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
17 Jun 2010 14:09 #376367 by jydog
Replied by jydog on topic swingarm upgrade advice needed
Well, I read somewhere that the newer Kawaski stuff dosent fit without some major mods. I think it was too wide or something. I've seen a lot of gs1100 arms and gsxr1100 or 750 conversions. Somone said to stay away from the early gsxr arms because the monoshock is hard to mount. Im specifically looking at either a 90 or 92 gsxr1100 arm. What is the difference? What wheels will fit? any chance of a zx10 wheel fitting?

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Jun 2010 15:35 #376395 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic swingarm upgrade advice needed
Hey jydog, I have a 95 GSXR 750 swinger on my 78 KZ1000. It fit really well. It was 0.100" narrower at the pivot, so I made some bushings with a 0.050" thick flange to fit the original pivot bolt. As for the shock, I stole the upper yoke off of the GSXR frame, and I welded in a crossmember that the yoke bolts to. None of this is too tough if you have metal fabrication skills and the ability to weld. With all that said, your bike has some differences since it is an 81. I'm not sure of the swingarm pivot width on that bike.

I'll be happy to measure whatever for you if it will help out. If you could measure the width of the inside of swingarm pivot on your frame, then I can tell you if the 750 arm will fit. Here's a link to my build thread (ongoing):http://kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=116&func=view&catid=11&id=340793
Be patient, some of the pages are picture heavy and can take a bit to load.

Something to keep in mind is that this turns into a very involved project rapidly. I'm almost 6 months of nights and weekends into mine, and only starting to see the light at the end.

What year zx-10 wheel are you thinking of? It just so happens that I have an 04 that I could use for measuring purposes.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • User
More
17 Jun 2010 19:05 #376482 by porchev914
To keep it easier, use the wheel from/for the swingarm you choose. If you are set on a wheel design, then you'll have little choice to either use the swingarm it fits, or start matching bearings and spacers, machining drive hubs ect. to make things work. I can tell you that having to widen your frame is a little more involved than making spacers to fit, but it is doable. I was dead set on a certain swingarm, and it made loads more work for me!

FRANKEN Z!

More
18 Jun 2010 03:29 #376539 by jydog
testarossa wrote:

Hey jydog, I have a 95 GSXR 750 swinger on my 78 KZ1000. It fit really well. It was 0.100" narrower at the pivot, so I made some bushings with a 0.050" thick flange to fit the original pivot bolt. As for the shock, I stole the upper yoke off of the GSXR frame, and I welded in a crossmember that the yoke bolts to. None of this is too tough if you have metal fabrication skills and the ability to weld. With all that said, your bike has some differences since it is an 81. I'm not sure of the swingarm pivot width on that bike.

I'll be happy to measure whatever for you if it will help out. If you could measure the width of the inside of swingarm pivot on your frame, then I can tell you if the 750 arm will fit. Here's a link to my build thread (ongoing):http://kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=116&func=view&catid=11&id=340793
Be patient, some of the pages are picture heavy and can take a bit to load.

Something to keep in mind is that this turns into a very involved project rapidly. I'm almost 6 months of nights and weekends into mine, and only starting to see the light at the end.

What year zx-10 wheel are you thinking of? It just so happens that I have an 04 that I could use for measuring purposes.

Thanks for the info testarossa that gives me a good place to start. If been to your site several times looking for information. I havent picked out a particular wheel yet. I am hoping to buy a whole rear swing axle, wheel and brake setup and fab it to fit. I would rather put all newer modern kawasaki parts on my bike but I dont see many others doing this. I think the 01-02 gsxr 1000's have a 6 inch wide wheel. Anyone know if this swingarm axle combo is close to fitting? I would imagine if the wheel gets to wide the frame has to be cut to make it fit. I dont want to go that far yet. kzrider needs a what fits page or parts interchage for kz thread.

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

More
18 Jun 2010 14:59 #376646 by jydog
Well the deed is done. I orderd a 92 GSXR1100 swingarm off of ebay. I went with this arm because it uses the same size pivot ( 20mm ) as the KZ and it is +2 longer than stock.

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

• porchev914
  • User
More
18 Jun 2010 15:07 #376648 by porchev914
Congratulations on the beginning of a grand project. Now that you're set with the rear, what are your thoughts on the front?

FRANKEN Z!

More
20 Jun 2010 07:10 - 20 Jun 2010 07:12 #376982 by jydog
porchev914 wrote:

Congratulations on the beginning of a grand project. Now that you're set with the rear, what are your thoughts on the front?

Dont have the front figured out yet, any suggestions? Im thinking USD forks with lots of aluminum to polish. Here are my thought so far.

81 kz1000 frame
81 kz1000 LTD tank
82 spectra 1100 engine ( will have to change to chain drive )
Would like to add turbo if I can find the parts
kz900 tail
92 gsxr1100 swingarm monoshock (+2" longer than stock arm)
03 sv1000 monoshock
01 gsxr 1000 6" rear strait spoke wheel ( anyone know if this can be make to fit with the swingarm I have?) I know the axle is different 20mm vs 28mm for the 01 wheel

GPZ EFI throttle bodies with microsquirt or Megasquirt II

Frame, tank and tail black and all aluminum, engine polished.

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA
Last edit: 20 Jun 2010 07:12 by jydog.