frame down tube break?

More
16 Jun 2010 15:42 #376137 by LP440
Replied by LP440 on topic frame down tube break?
yes it did...I would say it broke right at the weld...but all the way across.....I agree that I don't think moisture was the problem here. I think that it was weakened by the original welding of the frame right at that point. It just took that long to finally take its toll and break. I plan to suggest to the weld shop to use a low temp TIG method to put it back together. I'm really thinking it will not be to hard to fix.

I was told by a few that as long as the battery is totally disconnected I should not have to worry about frying anything electrically. But if someone can point it out.....where else would I actually disconnect something to the electronic ignition circuits to be safe. Hopefully I won't have to tear open a bunch of areas. I have to ride the bike down to the shop, so I will have to disassemble whatever I need off there after I get there and it cools down some. I would imagine I have to remove the exhaust pipe as well and try and push the wire that is connected there out of the way (oil switch?) I will try to get a pic of the break for all to see. I also have a different exhaust that what is seen in that pic. I have a MAC 2 in 1.
the pic I have attached is from a few years ago that I happened to have handy on the computer right after I cleaned up the motor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2010 16:29 #376153 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic frame down tube break?
Sure it was a break? I know we had a member here whose two downtubes had had a sawzall taken to them when he wasn't looking...

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

More
16 Jun 2010 17:29 #376165 by LP440
KZ250LTD wrote:

Sure it was a break? I know we had a member here whose two downtubes had had a sawzall taken to them when he wasn't looking...

sure that wasn't it///you have to know the situation of when I found it to agree and that would take too long to write out. When I post a pick of it I think everyone will agree it was a break.

More
16 Jun 2010 18:07 #376173 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic frame down tube break?
im not sure if it can come apart enough to have a slug driven in there to connect both tubes,maybe have the shop wrap outside area of tube if possible to strengthen it up.im not sure if i would trust just butt welding the tubes back together though :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Jun 2010 18:54 #376192 by LP440
PLUMMEN wrote:

im not sure if it can come apart enough to have a slug driven in there to connect both tubes,maybe have the shop wrap outside area of tube if possible to strengthen it up.im not sure if i would trust just butt welding the tubes back together though :(

Yeah, I plan to talk to him about it and reinforcing it....it had to come apart for some reason. I dont think i can get something up inside of it. It does not appear like it will move much at all. Hopefully he will create something around the outside of it even if I have to 'permanently' seal the one bolt. At this point I just want it sound....not pretty. whatever the fix is....it will be painted black and down where nobody cares.