Other tanks fit a Spectre 550 1983?

More
07 Jun 2010 16:16 #374203 by Maltraxxx
Other tanks fit a Spectre 550 1983? was created by Maltraxxx
Hi guys,

I might get my hands on a 1983 Spectre 550 (is this a kz?) and it would need a replacement tank. However, since I'm planning on convert this bike to a cafe racer, I was wondering of any other tank would fit on this bike, giving him a different look?

Ideas?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2010 06:06 #374353 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Other tanks fit a Spectre 550 1983?
Him? Interesting. I call mine an it; others her... just a superfluous observation. :)

If anything else fits as a direct bolt-on, it'll probably be from another KZ550, such as the Ltd-Shaft which would probably be virtually identical to the Spectre's. You might try the diagrams at Kawasaki.com to see if other tanks appear the same &/or have the same mounting setup. KZ tanks are attached in several ways, depending upon the model. If you want something different, some welding skills would most likely be needed.

When poking around the Kaw site, I find it easiest to do the Search-by-Model-Info without entering a vin or anything - just pick a year only then choose a bike from the list.

More
08 Jun 2010 08:38 #374376 by Maltraxxx
Replied by Maltraxxx on topic Other tanks fit a Spectre 550 1983?
Thanks for the hint!!

By the way, the "him" was a mistake made by the french canadian I am... Be indulgent! :)

And in french, "frame" is male and "motorcycle" is female. So I'm partially right ... :)