squaring a donor swingarm in a kz650 frame

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
03 Jun 2010 10:03 #373083 by hardr0ck68
squaring a donor swingarm in a kz650 frame was created by hardr0ck68
I am wondering what the best way is to square up a donor arm (zrx1100) in my 650 frame.

I am thinking of mounting the frame to a level table, putting a pipe in the stearing neck and using that for one point.

Then find the center between swingarm pivots and marking that as the second point.

Snap a chalk line down the table that is straight through both points and working off that as the center for my front and rear tires.

How does that sound?

So far it looks like I need to take 1/8" off the swingarm to fit it in the frame without any spacers. I am thinking about having 3/8" removed so i can add 1/8" spacers/ caps to each side of the swingarm.

The swingarm seems to have some offset built into it. but I am lacking the zrx spacers for the axle to see how the rim sits in the swingarm. So I am just trying to make it up as I go.

My goal, get the front and rear tires within 1/16" without having to get someone to weld me a frame jig.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2010 10:33 #373089 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic squaring a donor swingarm in a kz650 frame
id make sure the frame is straight first,then id clamp it down level and drop a plumb bob from each end to find center line of frame/wheels and mark it B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
03 Jun 2010 11:52 - 03 Jun 2010 11:57 #373102 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic squaring a donor swingarm in a kz650 frame
stright as is not bent from a crash? It looks good to me, but I can take some measurements on the frame and see if both sides match.... or should I be using a stright edge to check various parts of the frame?

I was the one to disassemble the bike and saw no signs of a crash when I stripped it (side covers good, pegs good, origional blinkers).

Drop a plumb bob from the steering neck and the other from where? The rear of the sub frame?

Could I clamp a peice of square stock across the sub frame, level it, find the mid point and drop the plumb bob from there?

Anyone have pictures or illustrations to help (I am a visual learner!)

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2010 11:57 by hardr0ck68.