Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 12:08 #36948

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok. So I was real proud of my front brake line purchase this week. Even bought the correct lines for my 76KZ900LTD. Only problem is I was thinking I was ordering banjo bolt to banjo bolt. Not so, these new lines I bought are the correct fitment that should include the "Pipe Bridge". That metal tube leading from the brake line to the calipers. One of my 2 Pipe bridges are good. Any idea where I can find another? Checked the usual sources, Z1, BikeBarn, Ebay. Found them for the KZ900A4 which is a different part (at least in its shape). Any experience interchanging there? I'd probably pinch the tube, trying to bend it to fit. :S
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 12:25 #36951

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Hmmmm.
Seems like it'd be pretty easy to make, just takes the correct fittings, and some 1/8" stainless tubing. I've heard of people filling the tube with sand, then bending it. The sand is supposed to keep the tube from kinking. Never tried it myself, though.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 12:37 #36955

• skippr76KZ
  • User
LTDRider. Showing me that nice pic of exactly what I need is like teasing a starving dog with a piece of meat. Actually, that sounds like a good idea, only problem, is that I don't have that end piece on the pipe bridge. It was torn off. Also not sure how I would flare out the end of that piping so that there was a correct fit and the end piece wouldn't slide off (if I had it). An undertaking like that - is approaching the limits of my wrenching universe quite probably. :(
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 13:17 #36957

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
There is a special tool for flaring that type of stuff, I have seen people make brake lines on cars before. it wasnt that hard. About the bending, as long as the bend isnt a very "sharp turn" you can bend them by hand, if you need to go with a small radius on your bend, theres also a tool for that. ask your local mechanic how he makes steel brake lines, he should be able to do it pretty fast or show/tell you how to do it. good luck
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 14:48 #36983

• wireman
  • Visitor
go talk nice to your local auto parts store,they probably will have a bender and flaring tool theyll let you use,if you go in there with a real bewildered look on your face they might even make it for you just take old one with you for a pattern.stainless steel tubing is hard to work with and you need to double flare the ends instead of single flare like regular tubing.or you could stick the line you have with the fittings in that box with the seat and ill make you two new ones and send them with the other seat.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!!

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 15:53 #36997

• TuffyToo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
You may want to try powersportspro.com. They may be able to get what you need. Make sure you order by phone. Ordering on the website doesn't tell you if the part is unavailable.

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 16:43 #37013

• Scotty355
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The local auto parts store here sells differant length of brake lines with the ends and flares already on, you just have to bend it to fit, if you take your time and use something to bend it around you can get close.

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 17:30 #37033

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Excellent feedback guys! Thanks.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 05 Apr 2006 21:23 #37124

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
I made Mine when I did My dual disk conversion(a couple years ago now).
I bought a double flairing tool...great investment.
I used different sized sockets(in a vice) and a rubber hammer to make the bends...and no kinks.(hooray!)
I DID have to get a machinist to make Me 2 brass inserts(furrows)to seal the connection better,because of the ends of the steel braided lines that I used...the one end had a slight imperfection in it,and it didn't seal completely.
I just grabbed the right sized line from Lordco Auto Parts and chopped it up,to start the project.I used the factory fittings from the old lines,that thread into the calipers.Make sure You slide them on the line BEFORE You flare the ends!LOL(and NO...I didn't screw up and forget to...just thought I'd mention that).
This will be My 3rd season with these lines and no problems at all.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 06 Apr 2006 06:40 #37201

• ltdrider
  • User
Sorry about the picture, Skip.
Didn't mean to tease you with it, just thought if others could see what you were talking about, it might help.
;)
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
Greensboro, NC

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 06 Apr 2006 11:23 #37244

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Sandy, that actually sounds like a fun challenge. It's just that I've got so much to do with this complete rebuild. But I may have to seriously consider your methodology. It obviously works and can be done by a capable person. (key word being "capable") LTDrider, just giving you a hard time. I appreciate the picture you sent. Hopefully, you'll keep looking for the mention of your name. I summon it frequently in the hopes you might weigh-in on one of my LTD specific issues. Things are ramping up. I want to have this finished within a month, )hopefully.....
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Pipe Bridge - What an odd name - Where to find one. 06 Apr 2006 12:33 #37252

• ltdrider
  • User
Skipper:
I was looking at your restoration pics. What does your gas tank look like?
I saw a side panel, the paint looks cherry! Is your tank in that good shape also?
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
Greensboro, NC

• Page: