Motorcycle Inspection.... advice please!

More
19 May 2010 16:39 - 19 May 2010 16:43 #369080 by ELCouz
Hi,

I have a GPZ 750 1982 that i have restored and i need to go make an inspection before i can go ride on the streets.

Many of us may have seen my previous topic on my problems before that i have a spongy front brake bar with either stock rebuild MC or a Chinese MC coming from eBay. I can assure you that the lines are free of air have been bleed by me and after to be sure by a mechanic.

--

I have planned to rebuild from scratch everything! Recent calipers from a Z1000 2005 and oversized 320mm rotors to fit the calipers.This for sure will eliminated my spongy brakes lever because everything is new including stainless brake lines.

The dilemma is should i continue to scratch my head on those old calipers or throw everything away and start from scratch with recent stuff? BUT this is where i need some advice. Here in Qc,Canada by law.... everything MUST be stock on the motorcycle when passing inspection.

I think i'm in a catch 22 situation. Should i leave my brake alone and fail the inspection because handle reach the handlebar or should i fail the inspection because brakes have been modified ?

I don't know what to do seriously !

Regards,
Laurent

1982 KZ810-R1 GPZ with hindle 4-into-1 pipe
Last edit: 19 May 2010 16:43 by ELCouz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2010 17:00 #369090 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Motorcycle Inspection.... advice please!
have you already rebuilt the existing calipers and master cylinder? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
19 May 2010 17:42 #369104 by ELCouz
Replied by ELCouz on topic Motorcycle Inspection.... advice please!
Yes! I have changed the old rubber line for stainless ones, rebuild both caliper with new seals and changed the MC piston!

1982 KZ810-R1 GPZ with hindle 4-into-1 pipe

More
19 May 2010 19:04 - 19 May 2010 19:05 #369130 by cmmman
Replied by cmmman on topic Motorcycle Inspection.... advice please!
My vote is for air still being in the hydraulic system. The front brakes are notoriously hard to bleed and easily remove all the air. Pull the cap on the reservoir and tap the brake lever, the lines, the splitter and the calipers. You will probably see some air start to rise up and out of the reservoir. ive heard on here that tying the brake lever to the handle bar overnight can help air escape

I installed one of those ebay MC's with new stainless lines and had a hell of time getting the air out. The combination of bleeding, tapping the air out, and letting it sit unworked on for long periods of time worked pretty well.

And how do the inspectors know if brake components are stock?

1977 KZ650B, modified.
Last edit: 19 May 2010 19:05 by cmmman.