Stock '81 750LTD Bars to Daytona....Changes?

More
10 May 2010 14:31 #367062 by jonnygorman
I am ditching the stock bars on my '81 750 Ltd and going to the Daytona from Z1. Just curious what I might have to change or if i can get away with zip tie creativity....this may change my decision if there is a similar, easier conversion option.

Thanks
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2010 14:39 #367068 by JMKZHI
The front brake mc might be a tight fit, especially if the turn signals are on the handlebars. Also, the mc will sit at an angle, but others have stated that it isn't a problem. The cables & brake hose will be too long, but it doesn't really pose a problem.

I installed BMW med tall street bars on my 650-CSR. They aren't the greatest but are better than the stupid stock mini-apehangers (same bars as the Ltd). The mc sits level and I installed a shorter upper hose, since I was replacing the brake lines anyway. The clutch & throttle cables are a tad too long... no big deal.

More
10 May 2010 15:35 #367077 by Glitch
I believe I have the daytona bar currently on my bike or something close to it. the brake hose is a bit long and so you just have to put a bit of a curl into it. other than that everything fits well. On a side note, I'm looking at switching to super bike bar. I like the rise of the daytona but the pull back leaves my wrists at a funny angle that gets old when traveling for much more than an hour or so. I'm 6'4" and that may have something to do with the bars feeling narrow and a bit close. Just some food for thought.
-glitch

1982 Kz750 h3 ltd

More
11 May 2010 06:05 #367183 by jonnygorman
Replied by jonnygorman on topic Stock '81 750LTD Bars to Daytona....Changes?
I am 6'1" and feel that way about the current shrunken ape haners. I feel like I am pinching my elbows together. My arms are seriously long for my dimensions so perhaps a shorter rise insn't a bad idea, are you worried about a back breaking forward lean?

Jon

More
11 May 2010 19:53 - 11 May 2010 19:54 #367350 by Glitch
Jon,

I'm running with a small fairing/wind screen on my bike, just enough to redirect the wind a bit. At speed say 55-60mph the wind helps to support my body when using lower bars, i used to ride my Suzuki GSF-1200 with superbike bars, it's set up a bit sportier though. I Share your concern about the forward lean as this will be more commute/ zippy touring with my wife than all out canyon carver. That being the case I've found a few bars that offer a 4-5" rise but only a 3 or 4" pull back ( current pull back is more like 6-6.5"). I'm still debating my final measurements, but this should keep me upright due to the rise, and save my wrists because the bars will have less pull back. I can't stand feeling like i'm pushing a wheelbarrow everytime i get on the bike. Plus the bars i've been looking at are still in the same price range as z1enterprises.
-Glitch

1982 Kz750 h3 ltd
Last edit: 11 May 2010 19:54 by Glitch.

More
11 May 2010 20:30 #367353 by gane
Idle thought for tho's going from "T Rex" (LTD) bars to "daytona"/"superbike" bars... "flat track # 3" bars offer about the same rise, with a slightly squarer wrist angle, and are long enough to allow M/C fitmment without fiddling, (usually with enough bar left over to shorten @ 1". for grins, sit on yer' stead, assume what you'd like for riding position, close your' eyes & put your' hands where you figure you'd like 'em. Look for bars which correspond... Going for a "look" is fine. But fit & ergonomics make for a much happier rider.. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1