• Page:

TOPIC:

Ouch, the bike went down! 04 Apr 2006 17:15 #36675

• newbikekiller
  • newbikekiller's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi folks.

I crashed my bike today, hauling through a twisty road, and ended up smashing into a curb. I have no idea how fast I was going, but I do know that I was in third gear at about 6K or so when I dumped. I'm fine, just a few scrapes that will heal, but I can't say the same for the bike.

From the damage I can tell by my eye, my clutch lever is bent, my handlebars are bent, my rear turn signal and stalk is still laying in the road, the "points cover" (or whatever you call it on an 83) is toast, and my gastank and rear fender have dents.

Luckily I have most of the parts I need

Coupla questions:
1.) Is there any chance of bending my KN handlebars back? I really like the way these bars look and feel over stock, but they are way to pricey for me to buy new. Does anyone have any recommendations? I hate the stock curled in nasty looking bars but I have an extra set as a last resort... I've noticed those clubman bars go for pretty cheap :whistle:

2.) Is there any other gotchas I should look out for in the process of my repair?

3.) Whats the paint code for the Candy Wire Red kawasaki paint? Where can I go to get it?

On the other hand maybe I'll just take this opportunity to paint the bike green

:whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ouch, the bike went down! 04 Apr 2006 18:36 #36719

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey NBK - Peter. Wow, didn't know about the laydown when I talked to you on the phone. Glad to hear you are o.k. Sorry to hear about the bike though.

I have the phone number of the company Best Buy Paints that sells factory paint matches for Kawasaki Canada. I am pretty sure the paint is the same for the US market and Canada. They can be reached at 1.800.461.2324 and might be able to help you with the paint match.

If you need a rear fender and points cover let me know. I have the fender from my '77 650 if it fits you can have it as well as the points cover off am '80 650 that I have lying around. As far as the bars, take them to a local welding shop, they might be able to match the bend if one side is still good. They will also advise you if there are any hairline cracks that might make the bars unusable.

If there is anything else you need a hand with. Fire off an email to me.

Cheers-Colin Firth -Ontario Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Ouch, the bike went down! 04 Apr 2006 18:50 #36732

• Sixgun
  • User
Wow, glad to hear that you yourself is not needing spare parts! Sounds like you were going at a fairly good gallop.

Time to make the wish lists on what you want for the bike. Best time to do it.

Again, glad to hear you well.
78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

Ouch, the bike went down! 04 Apr 2006 18:52 #36733

• newbikekiller
  • User
Well, no need to be sorry but thanks colin. This crash was absolutely 100% my fault, I was on good dry pavement in a 25mph zone and was just going way too fast. Luckily nothing was really hurt bad except my pride which is probably a good thing and will get me to slow down!

I think and hope I have an extra points cover. And since I'm gonna need to respray and bondo my tank anyway, a little bondo to fill the dimple in the rear fender would be an easy enough task. Thanks a ton for the offer though and good lead on the paint and handlebar situation, hell I'll be up in no time with this kinda help!

Ouch, the bike went down! 04 Apr 2006 18:54 #36735

• newbikekiller
  • User
Yeah its a good thing I'm a packrat with parts SixGun!

• Page: