front end change

More
06 May 2010 07:11 #365885 by Qvag
front end change was created by Qvag
Hi all, im new to this site. I just picked up a 1980 kz750E. I have sitting in my garge a 650 (parts on it vary over most of the model years, but basically been sitting for 7 years due to a complete lack of time/space to rebuild a wiring harness, got bits from several models/years none of which wants to fit together. Hence the reason i bought the 750, faster way to get a KZ back on the road. Thing is suprise suprise the brakes are crap. I have good brakes with steel braded lines on the 650 as well as better forks. So what i need to do is change out the front ends. My problem is i have a very very tiny garage (width/depth of small garage door only). Only way i can work on the bikes is to roll them out into the driveway. The 750 didn't come with a centre stand so i only got one of those. What i need to do is find a way to support both bikes to remove and exchange the front ends. actually after that is doen i'll have to do the same thing with the rear shocks/swing arms, but im more concerened with getting decent brakes than putting on my good shocks/fancy swing arm. So back to the question, how does someone with no facilities of any kind and 1 centre stand exchange 2 front ends? any ideas would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2010 07:56 #365889 by mart13
Replied by mart13 on topic front end change
axle stands and a car jack is what i use , it's easier with 2 people but it can be done by yourself if your careful

More
06 May 2010 10:07 #365912 by School Teacher
Replied by School Teacher on topic front end change
I have a garage with open rafters an i hang the bike front form the rafters with tie down straps.

1976 kz900 in parts but will be going some day soon
1980 kz1000G1
1976 kz900 parts bike
1979 kz1000 shaftie parts bike
1978 kz1000 33mm smoothies 1075 kit
Troutdale Oregon USA

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
06 May 2010 10:39 #365920 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic front end change
Dont feel bad I did a frame off rebuild on my front porch in an apartment complex. If you get a floorjack under the oilpan and jack it up the right way it will lift the front end up while on the sidestand. Make sure you have a block of wood under the oilpan so you do not do any damage. Once you get the front wheel off the ground get a jackstand under it for safety reasons. doing it this way is how I did nine. Just dont lift it to high all you need is the front wheel off the ground enough to spin the wheel. As far as the center stand goes isnt most of the weight on the front wheel? If so you may need to prop up the centerstand bike too.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
06 May 2010 11:21 #365928 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic front end change
After using a hydraulic jack under the engine to raise the front end, it's good practice to then insert a solid prop, because the jack might gradually leak down during the project.

mart13 wrote:

axle stands and a car jack is what i use , it's easier with 2 people but it can be done by yourself if your careful

A pipe will fit through some models between the jack stands, and provide a very stable lift (see pic below).

For more details and pics, click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=5&id=236039

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
06 May 2010 11:25 #365930 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic front end change
If it's on the centerstand, just throw a sand bag or 2 on the rear tire, that'll lift the front end up. Without it, do as suggested and use a floor Jack and a 2x4. If you don't have one, you could use the sissor Jack from your car. Not my first choice, but workable :cheer:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
06 May 2010 16:32 #365997 by Qvag
Replied by Qvag on topic front end change
yeah i know about the sandbags (or any heavy object) with the centre stand. which is why i mentioned i only had one. thanx for the tips on the jackstands and the pics. i didnt think i could put a jack under the oil pan with it on its sidestand and not just have the thing topple over on me.
Just curious though Patton your pic looks like it will lift the back end not the front, mind you that is part 2 of my planned work, where would you put the jack stands to lift the front wheel, under the down tubes? Well if weather permits (remember i have to do this all outside) ill try this out on monday, when i have a day off and no kids jumping around me (pretty sure i dont want to drop a kz on my 4 year old son, also sure he would be jumping up and down on the bike while trying to "help" me). If im feeling escpecially funky ill also post pics. After im done combining the 2 bikes i'll have a mostly complete kz650 for sale, if anyone is interested. (bascally it will be missing a wiring harness)

Kawickrice: i know what your saying i rebuilt a tercel engine on my kitchen table once, my roomate at the time was not amused.

More
06 May 2010 19:47 - 06 May 2010 19:49 #366078 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic front end change
Qvag wrote:

...didnt think i could put a jack under the oil pan with it on its sidestand and not just have the thing topple over on me. Just curious though Patton your pic looks like it will lift the back end not the front...where would you put the jack stands to lift the front wheel, under the down tubes?

Don't use lifting jack under engine with bike on sidestand.

Pipe thru bike frame onto two stands supports rear end off the ground (as pictured). Then may use lifting jack under engine to also raise the front end, whereby both ends are off the ground.

I don't use jack stands under the front end.

For more details and pics, click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=5&id=236039

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 06 May 2010 19:49 by Patton.

More
25 May 2010 05:52 #370722 by Qvag
Replied by Qvag on topic front end change
Thanx, took me a bit as but i managed to get the front ends changed. bike feels much more solid on the highway now that i have stiffer forks and a fork brace. Big problem was the Brakes. that took me several days due to mismatched parts and my stripping the threads in the caliper where one of the bleeder nipples went in. Unfortunately the other calipers didnt fit with the new forks. but then i remembered i had a spare front end in my shed. sure enough they were the right calipers. so now only down side is i have one badly painted black caliper and one polished aluminum. ahh well all that can be played with in the fall when the bike goes to sleep for the winter. till then i call them my salt and pepper brakes :)

next jon change the rear swing arm and shocks