Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

fork brace? 01 Apr 2006 21:29 #36077

• dnestell
  • dnestell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
anybody know where to get a fork brace for a 78 kz650c? i saw one for a kz750 on ebay would that work? i also saw a brace for a 78 cb750 on ebay would this work if the other didn't?

Post edited by: dnestell, at: 2006/04/02 00:30

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 10:58 #36159

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
SPECII carries them for $129.95 ('77~'81 part# FS15, '81~ part# FS7).

SPECII fork braces

Be sure to check out their entire site. They also offer clip-ons, rearseats and machine work (even drilling/surfacing on brake rotors!) for our old KZ's. ;) B)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 11:04 #36160

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Are the 1000 forks the same size as the 650?(I'm thinking they area)
I ask this for a reason,because I'll have a fork brace for sale,after I install My ZRX parts(in the fall).
Fact is...I'll have a LOT of stuff for sale,when I do the swap.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 13:26 #36181

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
Sandy wrote:

Are the 1000 forks the same size as the 650?(I'm thinking they area)
I ask this for a reason,because I'll have a fork brace for sale,after I install My ZRX parts(in the fall).
Fact is...I'll have a LOT of stuff for sale,when I do the swap.B)

I don't know for sure if the forks are the exact same size. But if it's a '77~'80 KZ1000A model, SPEC II does show the same part# (FS15) fitting up to '81 on the KZ650's.
I think the '81 KZ650 CSR had larger diameter fork tubes and/or wider triple clamps, hence the diff fork brace part# listed on the site.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/04/02 16:27
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 14:43 #36197

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

SPECII carries them for $129.95 ('77~'81 part# FS15, '81~ part# FS7).

SPECII fork braces

Be sure to check out their entire site. They also offer clip-ons, rearseats and machine work (even drilling/surfacing on brake rotors!) for our old KZ's. ;) B)

You may have had a different experience, but I recall SpecII being the most unprofessional group of assholes I've ever had the displeasure of attempting to do business with.

First off they were hard to get a hold of, and then when I DID get a hold of them to ask them a few questions they were extremely rude.

Based on my experience I would not recommend anyone give these assholes any business.

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 15:14 #36207

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
I agree with ya there TWT.
But if they're "the only place in town" to carry a particular item, I'm willing to swallow my pride (after searching for awhile EVERYWHERE else of course) and buy it through them.
They're local for me, so I can hound them personally for what I need/want. :whistle:
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 17:30 #36241

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
twowheeledterror wrote:

You may have had a different experience, but I recall SpecII being the most unprofessional group of assholes I've ever had the displeasure of attempting to do business with.

First off they were hard to get a hold of, and then when I DID get a hold of them to ask them a few questions they were extremely rude.

I had the same exact experience as y'all when I called them awhile back looking for a Telefix. The guy virtually hung up on me whilst taking a rude tone and attitude. He said they were having a hard time getting the braces from Germany and the exchange rate put the price at $159. Before I could ask about shipping or anything else the dude hung up.

Here's another option to consider...still spendy:
www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html

I seem to remember poking around the ?Weigl? (manufacturer of Telefix) website looking for part numbers...everything was in German, but they had phone, email and fax listed...might try going direct.

I ended up going with the cheap, eBay, Daytona brace for now, but I still dream of a Telefix!

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2006/04/02 20:32

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 19:28 #36276

• wireman
  • Visitor
anybody remember a hotrod builder named "Lil jon Butera"?(something like that anyway)he built everything from drag cars ,indy cars to streetrods and hotrods.i havent heard his name in years but i remember reading stories about him when i was a kid he built an indy car from scratch in a two car garage at his house,the biggest thing about him was he used to build most of his stuff with nothing but a bandsaw a drill press and hand tools,now the point!why dont you make your own fork braces?it wouldnt be that complicated you could even substitute a jig saw for the bandsaw,maybe its the pack of anal retentive blacksmiths i was raised by,but ill be damned if ill pay some shmuck with a bad attitude $150-$160 for something i can carve from a $5.00 chunk of aluminum and a few hours of work that will look and work better than what i can buy!i wonder if there is enough people on here that would be interested in starting a service swapping section?there are people on here that are good at certain things that arent at other things,i think it would be a good way to bring everyone on site together and would help people get things done easier and cheaper.;) anyone else interested?:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 19:45 #36282

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I know that I would sure like to be able to get a cheap fork brace, if I could make one that would be even better:P but it doesnt seam too likely, unless Im just missing something...not trying to hijack here, if someone wants to pm me about how to build one, that would be great
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 19:46 #36284

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Ahh, the barter system...very 19th Century...but I like it...ought to be more of it!

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 19:53 #36292

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Wireman,I agree with You on the "Services" issue...other bike forums do it,and it works great!B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

fork brace? 02 Apr 2006 20:00 #36298

• wireman
  • Visitor
lots of that goes on in construction trades.ive traded labor with suppliers and others building bikes for years .i can do quite a few things pretty good but i know my limitations it recipicates the other way as well.;)

• Page: