Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?

More
01 Apr 2006 18:49 #36031 by AzKZ650
I ordered some drag bars for my 78' 650 SR off of ebay, and they have arrived !!! So before jumping into this I wanted to check and see if anyone has tips for doing the swap easily (and hopefully I can avoid making any stupid mistakes). It seems pretty straight forward, I found this link to give me a general idea:
motorcyclistonline.com/howto/change_motorcycle_handlebars/

My only real concern is my old bars had the wires run internally and the drag bars don't have a opening in the center section, do I just drill one ?

As always any tips or advice you guys can offer would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2006 19:21 #36041 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
If you want to run the wires through the bars, you will need to drill holes and smooth the edges in the same locations as the stock bars, including the center area AND each switch area.
The alternative is to make a cut out in the switches and not run the wires through the bars but externally. This is what I did.

You will also need to confirm you have enough clearance for the brake hose off the master cylinder as it will often hit up against the tach.

Oh as well the swiches have a post that goes into a hole on the bars to help to keep them from rotating on the bars. Again a hole will need to be drilled or the posts removed.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/04/01 22:24

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
01 Apr 2006 20:10 #36055 by AzKZ650
Replied by AzKZ650 on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
Thanks rstnick,

Is there any chance you could show me a picture of how you did the cut-out and routed your wires ?

Thank You,
-Brian

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2006 20:29 #36061 by twowheeledterror
Replied by twowheeledterror on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
AzKZ650 wrote:

Thanks rstnick,

Is there any chance you could show me a picture of how you did the cut-out and routed your wires ?

Thank You,
-Brian

I doubt he can, cause he said that's not what he did. ;)

It's much easier not to run them through the bars.

Personally I don't run mine through the bars either. I turn lock to lock and use zip ties to retain them outside the bike so they are somewhat cleaner and more organized. Saves a MAJOR headache.

More
01 Apr 2006 21:45 #36081 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
Dont know about your particular set-up, but when i put clubmans on, Throttle cables are now long, and I cant have ANY kink in them or the throttle wont snap shut.
Just something to maybe check when you get them on.

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
02 Apr 2006 08:50 #36140 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
Here is how I did the cut outs in the switches, again smooth any rough edges:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2006 11:08 #36162 by twowheeledterror
Replied by twowheeledterror on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
Ahh, I thought he was asking for pics of your holes you cut in the bars. lol

I just did the EXACT same thing with my dremel and a carbide tip last night. :)

More
02 Apr 2006 11:22 #36164 by AzKZ650
Replied by AzKZ650 on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
Thanks for the pictures rstnick, looks like it would be alot easier doing it that way. I am kinda worried about the length of the cables, the drag bars are alot shorter then my old bars. I'll mock it up and see before I cut or drill anything.

Thanks Again,
-Brian

More
02 Apr 2006 19:09 #36263 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
Mocking it up is smart, don't worry too much about the length of the throttle cables. Just angle the two 90 degree "elbows" coming out of the throttle housing forward instead of inward and you'll most likely be fine. Did the same thing on my wife's 650, works like a charm.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

• Serpent7
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
More
10 Jun 2007 04:26 #147958 by Serpent7
Replied by Serpent7 on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
I'm new to the KZ family, but since I was in middle school (20 years ago) I have always loved KZ, or Z1 motorcycles. I have bought and sold a few fix-r-uppers in the past, but never had one running. This is my first 95% complete KZ I have ever owned and there is only a few things keeping it from running. The guy I bought it from ordered some drag bars for it, and was in the process of taking the stock 79 kz1000st bars off and installing cool drag bars on it. He told me the accessories wouldnt fit back on the bars, but it looks like you guys have that problem licked. I already ordered some new street bars and they should arrive anyday, but Im going to try to get these drag bars to work with this information and pic. I also have a repair manual, but I'am a noviced at best. I just got the bike home last week, made space in the garage, and parked it, but I'll play with it today, and see what happens and reference back to this page.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out.

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

More
10 Jun 2007 06:06 #147972 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
And put a blanket or towel over your gas tank before you start! The new and old bars will be on and off the tank during the swap!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
10 Jun 2007 09:09 #148021 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Installing new handlebars...Any Tips ?
With new bars, the switches may be closer to the fuel tank at right or left "lock" position, or actually hit against the fuel tank. Should assure neither switch contacts the tank at either full left or full right bar position. This may be a "deal killer" for certain types of replacement handlebars. Suggest using the towel to protect the tank for this test as well. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD