81 KZ750 LTD vs. Standard - Rake & Triple Clamps

• fifthcircle
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Jive Turkey
More
09 Apr 2010 08:35 #359466 by fifthcircle
Here is the deal. I bought a good running LTD. It's got a few issues, and I'll deal with them later during my Cafe process.....

I scored a Standard tank for it. It bolts fine to the frame, but the forks hit before full lock. I have several options, and the easiest would be to weld on some steering stops to prevent the forks hitting the tank.

But let's talk for a minute about the Frame Rake, Triple Tree's and the Forks for the Standard vs. LTD models.

I found this article while googling.

The important part:

"Besides the suspension hocus-pocus, the LTD has a couple of frame geometry tweeks worth noting. Naturally an LTD must be equipped with leading axle forks. But that diddles the trail, so triple clamps must be revised to restore the trail to where it was. The LTD gets more than that, though. The steering rake has been extended to 30° while the standard model makes do with a 27 ° head angle. But because of the reduced offset on the triple clamps the trail has only increased from 4.2 in. to 4.8 in."

So, do you think (or know) that if I were to get a set of standard forks and triples, would they not hit the tank?

Not sure I would want to mess with the handling that much, but I see in the same article that the standard suspension is a bit more sporty and firm.

Any of you KZ guru's have opinions on the best way to deal with this issue?

At this point, I am thinking that a "mild" or "cosmetic" cafe build will be enough to satisfy me until I have the garage space to do a complete tear down and rebuild from the frame up. ALL CAFE. So the LTD suspenders will most likely stay, and I'll just figure out the easiest way to get it going.

-Kurt B)

"What is it with corn anyway?"
-Scott S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.