Tires-How big can I go on police wheels?

More
07 Apr 2010 09:20 #358979 by gottmoore
Tires-How big can I go on police wheels? was created by gottmoore
I got metzlers (880 and 88) on now, but how big can go on without mods?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2010 19:44 #359133 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic Tires-How big can I go on police wheels?
The metzler 880's and 88's are about as good a tire as you can get for what you've got.
You probably have a 110 or 120-18 tire on the back and that's as big as you want to go with the original rims. you might be able to get a 130 on there but that's pushing it. That tire was specifically called out for in the design of that bike so that it will maintain it's lateral stability in the twisties with the extra weight the cop bikes usually carry. A fatter tire will give you more of a power patch and help with the braking, but the narrower tire will give you more control in the curves and in the rain. if you go over a 120 witdth you might want to consider new wheels to go with it. check out the police motorcycle forum for more cop bike specific information. Those guys know their cop bikes like these guys know their regular KZ bikes. autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kz1000p

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

More
12 Apr 2010 08:39 #360102 by gottmoore
Replied by gottmoore on topic Tires-How big can I go on police wheels?
Thanks,
Yep I got a 120 on the back.
Just to note: I have nothing but good things to say about them. They are wearing like regular Levis ( will be around for a while :) and perform great), but the grass is always greener isn't it?