82 550 ltd forks/brakes

More
06 Apr 2010 10:53 #358750 by oldirtybob
82 550 ltd forks/brakes was created by oldirtybob
I have an 82 550 LTD, and the forks are equipped with mounting tabs for dual disc brakes, does anyone know which, if any, other model shared these forks that had dual discs? also, I put drag bars on it, instead of the cruiser type LTD bars, and this makes the master cylinder sit diagonally, and it occasionally leaks through the screw that holds the reservior cap on, not a good thing. Does anyone know of an alternate master cylinder that would fit well? I have a few ideas I'm floating around with what to do as far as trying to go to dual discs. I have a spare 750 LTD wheel with dual discs on it, I just don't know if the 750 brakes will fit the forks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2010 11:01 #358752 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 82 550 ltd forks/brakes
I don't know what will fit, but I do know the fork legs on the LTD are different than the dual brake forks on the gpz 550. The brake mounting tabs are higher to accomodate a bigger single disk. If you use a gpz front wheel, the brakes will sit too high and the pads won't line up with the rotors.

So even though the gpz 550 had dual disks and the forks appear almost identical to the LTD forks, the mounting tabs are in a different position. I learned that the hard way.

The way to tell the difference easily is to look at the top of the fork tubes. The gpz fork tubes have a little ring cut in near the top.
Attachments:

More
06 Apr 2010 11:16 #358757 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 82 550 ltd forks/brakes
As for the front brake master cylinder, you can use one from just about any Japanese bike, including more modern models & from other mfgs such as Honda. The basic criteria: 7/8" bars, dual or single disk, mirror orifice, mount angle. The brake lite switch will have to be spliced when going w a newer or non-Kaw unit. And the brake lever may not match the clutch lever.

I can't help much with the brakes. Maybe an 83-or-so GPz550 had dual disk.

More
06 Apr 2010 11:24 #358758 by loudhvx