KZ440B Front Sprocket Torque Setting

More
05 Apr 2010 12:00 #358567 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ440B Front Sprocket Torque Setting
PLUMMEN wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

The Kawis have a splined flat washer that you flatten against one flat of the nut so the nut can't come off. When I changed mine, the nut was loose but held in place by the lock washer.... hence my cleaning it thoroughly and using blue loctite. I don't recommend red unless you want to use a torch to remove it.

what happens when the little tab breaks off the washer? :S you find the sprocket and chain balled up inside the housing tearing things up,yes it happens B)

The tab washers are obsolete and have been replaced by ones where you bend over the whole side of the washer and tap it flat against one "flat" on the drive nut to hold it tight. I would not trust a "tab" either but the bend over kind of washers are really secure. Even though the manual showed a tab washer, the dealer sold me the replacement with the same part number which had the bend over flat surface.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2010 15:55 #358582 by pjed
Replied by pjed on topic KZ440B Front Sprocket Torque Setting
The guy who works at the local Ducati shop also recommended red loctite. I'm sure I'll be cursing when it's time to change the sprocket again but hopefully this 29 bhp monster won't be needing one soon and I have piece of mind that it won't fall off.

Anyone have the torque setting for the axles?:)

1976 KZ400 D3
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki ZX6RR (sold)
2013 Harley Davidson 883 Iron

More
05 Apr 2010 23:20 #358654 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ440B Front Sprocket Torque Setting
pjed wrote:

The guy who works at the local Ducati shop also recommended red loctite. I'm sure I'll be cursing when it's time to change the sprocket again but hopefully this 29 bhp monster won't be needing one soon and I have piece of mind that it won't fall off.

Anyone have the torque setting for the axles?:)

I believe on mine the rear axle is 100 ft-lbs or however tight a human can pull the stupid wrench that is provided to do it with.

As for sprockets, figure to replace them (at least) every 15k - 20k miles when you change the chain. That's about how long a chain lasts and the sprockets need to be changed with the chain or the new chain won't last because the old sprockets will cause excessive wear.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
23 Oct 2019 18:26 #812918 by Featherless
Replied by Featherless on topic KZ440B Front Sprocket Torque Setting
Engine sprocket nut, 58 ft lb's. not 100 or whatever your ass can put into it.
And the secondary shaft is 43 lb's.

More
25 Oct 2019 18:29 #813037 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic KZ440B Front Sprocket Torque Setting

Featherless wrote: Engine sprocket nut, 58 ft lb's. not 100 or whatever your ass can put into it.
And the secondary shaft is 43 lb's.

Did you notice that the last post to this thread was more than nine years ago and that the last post is about rear axle torque, not the sprocket or a secondary shaft?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough