Changing tires: The cheap and not so easy way.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
01 Apr 2010 19:16 #357807 by testarossa
It seems that a lot of tire questions have popped up lately, so I have decided to post a how to on changing tires yourself with minimum tools. At least, after reading this you can decide for yourself, if it's worth your time to DIY or pony up and pay the man to do it for you. Part two will be a cheap and dirty tutorial on blancing.

First I will include the standard disclaimer. Changing tires can be dangerous, they contain air under pressure and may burst under certain circumstances. I do this tutorial for demonstration purposes only. If you decide to change your own tires, then you accept the risks inherent in this activity. Also, you may want to purchace a cussword thesaurus. It is likely that you will exhaust your inventory of available inventory of cuss words on this one. As usual, the proper tools make your life a lot easier on this one.

Step 1) Lift up the bike and remove the wheel.

Step 2) Remove the valve core. Keep in mind that unless you bleed off the air it will try to escape very rapidly. If you don't have a firm grip on the valve core, then it will shoot across the room. Cussword number one. The proper tool looks like this.

Step 3) Time to break the bead. You need something to get alot of leverage here. I use an 8' 2x4 and a short section of 2x4 with one end cut at a slight angle. Place the point of the short board next to the rim on the tire bead. Now press down on the short board with the long lever. Place one end of the lever under something very heavy and strong. Press down on the longer end of the lever with considerable force. It helps to lubricate the bead by spraying windex all around the edge of the wheel. You will usually have to turn the tire a few times and work your way around until it finally pops off of the bead. You will need at least 4 cusswords here. The picture says it all. I have a convienant corner on my garage to hook my lever, but you could use a truck frame here. Remember to break the bead on both sidewalls of the tire.

Step 4) Now we need to pry the bead over the rim. Proper tire levers are necessary for this step. I like to protect the rim where you insert the lever. I cut a polyethylene washer fluid bottle into strips and folded them in half. Just slip them in between the rim and tire, and stick the tire lever in. Now cuss and pry. Also, you can use windex as needed for lubrication during the prying.

Step 5) Continue prying. You should have three tire levers. Generally if you can get about 1/3 the way around, then it will come off. Cuss for good measure.

Step 6) Pry off the other bead. Remember to pry it off the same side as the first bead.

Step 7) Clean the wheel inside and out. It never hurts to install a new valve stem before you mount the new tire.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Apr 2010 19:30 #357812 by TeK9iNe
:laugh: Very entertaining!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
01 Apr 2010 19:36 #357814 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Changing tires: The cheap and not so easy way.
i set the rim on the grass or dirt and run over just the tire with a car then smack the tire with a sledge while the car sits on it...pop..flip and repeat...

good pictures ..pretty much the easy quick was your showing...can change a tire in ten minutes

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Apr 2010 19:40 #357816 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Changing tires: The cheap and not so easy way.
Now on to mounting the new tire.

Step 9) Note the correct mounting direction of the tire. Most MC tires are directional tread. You don't want to have to take it off and remount it b/c you got that wrong. That would invovle cussing on an epic level. Like cussing in multiple languages. So lube that bead up and work the first side over the rim. You should be able to get it most of the way by hand. Maybe one little pry with the lever to get the last bit of the bead over.

Step 10) Work the second bead over the rim just like the first. Possible cussing.

Step 11) Now seat the bead. Leave the valve core out and pump that tire up with your air compressor. You should probably turn the regulator on the compressor down to 50psi, so that you don't burst the tire. It helps to lube the beads with some more windex here. You will hear two distinct pops as both beads seat. If you don't have a compressor, you can take it to the gas station, or I have even used a bicycle tire pump. Major cussing.

Step 12) Screw the valve core back in, and inflate to the proper pressure.

One thing that I failed to mention, is that you need to protect those brake rotors. Block the wheel up with some wood scraps to keep from bearing weight on the rotor. Better yet, remove the rotor, especially if this is your first time.

Now see the El Cheapo Barstool Balance thread for part two.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
01 Apr 2010 20:36 #357839 by JakeB
Nice job, I've been waiting to see this!

One thing I would add to step 6. I find it's easiest to pull the beads off of each side, then pull the wheel out of the middle. This is a much easier option when dealing with rim locks, but may be more difficult with some wheels and tires.

Also, I found some bicycle tire irons that work really well for mounting the new tire. They are well made and have a nice thin, well-shaped spoon that prevents you from pinching tubes. They're from Park Tools and the part # is TL-5 www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=TL-5 .

I think the best tip that I could give to someone doing this the first time is to invest in the right tools. This is just one of those jobs that quality tools make 100 times easier. As with most things, if it is really difficult then you're probably doing something wrong.

1978 Z1-R

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Apr 2010 20:47 #357841 by testarossa
Good points Jake. I forgot to add that old crusty tires, fix-a-flat, slime, rim locks, wheels with shallow drop centers, wide low profile back tires, and tubes all lead to additional trouble and cussing. Make sure that you don't pinch the tube between the tire and the rim. That's a certain flat.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
02 Apr 2010 05:54 - 02 Apr 2010 13:00 #357899 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Changing tires: The cheap and not so easy way.
Great job Josh. I have done this myself and u are right it does involve a great deal of cussing. i think this job would be easier for everyone, if u could add 1 more thing to this otherwise very good tutorial.
Could u please give us an indepth lesson on this :

"That would involve cussing on an epic level. Like cussing in multiple languages"
:P

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2010 13:00 by mark1122.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Apr 2010 06:26 #357908 by testarossa
Check for the cussing tutorial in the chit chat section. I might work on that one tonight after I have had a few "adult" beverages. Not sure that belongs here.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
02 Apr 2010 07:40 #357930 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Changing tires: The cheap and not so easy way.
Of course tubeless wheels and tires make the job so much easier, but unfortunately most of us still have tubes so remember a few more steps involved and careful install or tube will be pinched. I've never pinched a tube though myself, only others with no skill do that. :laugh: Generally tube type tires can be broke loose of the bead by foot pressure except on newer motorcycles and most tubeless wheels are a real bear to break the bead and if you can do it with 2x4s more power to you. If not, a large c-clamp will sometimes work. That's the worst part of a tubeless tire change, breaking the bead. Nomar has some videos that show some good tips on mounting. Of course they show how to do it on their machines, but the techniques can be helpful, like using small blocks of wood to keep the tire towards the center of the wheel.
www.nomartirechanger.com/videos/showcase
One thing that I can attest to as a great help is the Nomar Yellow thing to hold the tire on the wheel as it's being levered on.
www.nomartirechanger.com/products/10
Also use their tire mount lube and spray lube for much easier job than soap/water, windex, ATF or any of the homebrew methods.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Apr 2010 08:08 #357934 by testarossa
Good points Ron. I have no motorcycles currently running tubes, so no tubes to demonstrate. I guess I could have shown that part with a bicycle tire, but oh the ridicule. I really wish that I had a Nomar setup, that would make life much easier. Maybe in the future. I'm a big boy and I did have to fight that rear tire quite a bit to break the beads. I have seen some very creative bead breaking videos on youtube. Everything from tractors to tailgate lifts, to tri's run over the tire method. My main goal was to show that it can be done with minimal tools.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
02 Apr 2010 10:23 #357952 by ditchdriver
Replied by ditchdriver on topic Changing tires: The cheap and not so easy way.
if u have an old jack like the lever kind its good for braeking beads just stick it under the car and jack it up with the bead under it i saw my brother do that once with a regular tire for his car

and if u have problems airng it up u can use a strap or a rope to wrap around the tire to get it to seal ive saw that to

1982 kz 550 ltd
Grand Forks, ND

More
02 Apr 2010 10:39 #357954 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Changing tires: The cheap and not so easy way.
I find it easier if you have 5 or 6 of the long tire irons for mounting the tire. I get them all started and fairly close together and pull them over one by one.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.