bike year and model identification help

More
31 Mar 2010 00:40 #357380 by bobbisman
bike year and model identification help was created by bobbisman
i wasnt sure where this should have been posted and figured this is a good start.i know i saw a link or website which showed the older vin numbers for the old kawi's and how to find out what year your bike is but i cant locate it. i basically bought a 1978 kz650 with the worst wiring hack job ever about 2 years ago. i drove the bike home 10 minutes and have had trouble since. it wouldnt hold a charge while running from day one and would slowly drain which i figured probly had to the with the wiring. then it stopped getting spark so i parked it. i finally have the motovation and time (no more girlfriend!) to start diggin into this and the first thing i want to aquire is a new wiring harness which will probably be purchased off ebay because i thought i was told you can by them brand new. now this is my dilema. from what i can remember both the frame and motor seemed like they were from the same year but different models. a d model (frame) and a b model (motor). vin # for frame is kz650d-004155, vin # for motor is kz650be048186. my first question is when looking for a new harness should i be going by the model of motor since thats what the harness mainly powers or should i go by the frame. second question is if this is not the correct motor could this be why the original harness was so hacked up. i was thinking the po took the easy way out and tried to make the harness's work together or something instead of doing it correct. i meen the bike has no key. he just hooked up 4 toggle switches which have to be flipped a certain way or the bike wont start when it was running. my first thought is that the toggle set up has something to do with not holding a charge (maybe a draw). i consider myself mechanically inclinde when it comes to cars. ive built a few turbochargd 300+hp volkswagens and i wanna start tinkering with bikes and see if i can get this bike running within the next few months. sorry to write a novel fellas but i figure the more info the better....thanks tremendously.

one more note. i have what looks to be an aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust but it exits on the left side. every pipe i see exits on the right. i like having unique touches like that. anyone know of a company who made these or still does...ok im done now :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2010 03:26 #357388 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic bike year and model identification help
Good Day Bobbisman...your numbers tell me you have a 1978 KZ650D1 frame and a 1978 KZ650B2 OR a KZ650C2 motor (they used motors from the same series). This info comes from the Kawasaki Model Identification Guide 1963-1978. When you try to replace the wiring loom...find one from that matches the motor, not the frame VIN. Don't know much about 650's...others will step in to assist you...we have lots of 650 owners on this site. As for the pipes, there were a few manufacturers that made left exit models...new pipes for the KZ650 line (I think) are only currently being made by MAC at this time.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
31 Mar 2010 05:26 #357397 by bobbisman
Replied by bobbisman on topic bike year and model identification help
good info so far. keep it comin

More
31 Mar 2010 07:06 #357416 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic bike year and model identification help
1978 D1 and 1978B2 engines should be electrically identical, so if you find a decent 1978 D1 harness it should plug right into the replacement engine.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
31 Mar 2010 07:54 - 31 Mar 2010 07:54 #357424 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic bike year and model identification help
Here are KZ650 wiring diagrams for different models:

KZ650

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 31 Mar 2010 07:54 by 650ed.

More
31 Mar 2010 16:18 #357541 by bobbisman
Replied by bobbisman on topic bike year and model identification help
thanks guys. now are there any companies that i can buy a brand new harness from instead of having to resort to ebay?