Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Handlebar Mounted Short Turn Signals - Is there a Trick? 29 Mar 2006 19:34 #35317

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok guys, in anticipation of receiving my new short turn signals, (for my LTD Handlebar) I find that it is very difficult to remove the handlebar clamp portion of the front turnsignal assembly so that I can use it with the new signal. It was suggested that I should be able to work that clamp off of the signal and re-use it on the replacement signal. Man...it won't come off without seeming to risk tearing it up. Is there a trick to these? Pic is attached. The turn signal is two parts? The light and the bracket. At least I think so. Any ideas? Thanks.
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handlebar Mounted Short Turn Signals - Is there a Trick? 29 Mar 2006 19:45 #35326

• wireman
  • Visitor
how about replating the whole assembly?if youre not in a major hurry box them up and send them to me.i spend more time at plating shop then i do at home it seems.:whistle:

Handlebar Mounted Short Turn Signals - Is there a Trick? 29 Mar 2006 21:02 #35347

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
I have a couple of those out in the garage I will look at them tomorrow for you , Later ShoemanB)

Handlebar Mounted Short Turn Signals - Is there a Trick? 29 Mar 2006 21:15 #35348

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I am currently trying to do the exact same thing with mine. I tried to pry open the signal side, but it doesnt budge. I thought(foolishly) that once I removed the bolts it would all come apart!!!

If you check them out on www.buykawasaki.com under the parts diagrams section, they are shown as three pieces essentially, the collar, the bracket and then the light....

Handlebar Mounted Short Turn Signals - Is there a Trick? 30 Mar 2006 04:40 #35388

• skippr76KZ
  • User
You guys are so kind to offer some spares. I appreciate it, but not necessary. I just put in a big order of follow-up pieces/parts with Jeff at Z1 which included 3 replacement turn-signals. :) The one I'm showing was totally rusted out internally - a real mess. I've gotten pretty good at polishing those outside pitted pieces but I may have to get a few parts re-chromed wireman. I've tried prying this thing apart with a screw driver, but it won't give without tearing it up it would seem.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Handlebar Mounted Short Turn Signals - Is there a Trick? 30 Mar 2006 05:13 #35397

• wireman
  • Visitor
they can be replated without seperating them,just the wires need to be removed;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Handlebar Mounted Short Turn Signals - Is there a Trick? 30 Mar 2006 16:47 #35546

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Well do I feel foolish. Just prying extra hard where the signal light bolt area pinches together - that slot? Spread it apart wide enough and the bracket comes right out. Another rookie wrencher lesson learned. Thanks xtreamcanadian for confirming that thing was in 3 parts. That gave me courage to pry.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Handlebar Mounted Short Turn Signals - Is there a Trick? 31 Mar 2006 21:12 #35874

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
thanks for prying that gave me the courage to pry mine!

• Page: