front brake swap '82 550gpz -> '83 550ltd

More
12 Mar 2010 15:04 #352956 by oldirtybob
front brake swap '82 550gpz -> '83 550ltd was created by oldirtybob
I have an 83 kz550 LTD C3 and am looking to upgrade to dual front brakes, both forks have mounting points, but there is only one front brake. I assume this is because it shares forks with another model that has dual front brakes.Is there a dual-disc front wheel model that would directly swap?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2010 18:39 - 15 Mar 2010 20:59 #352989 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic front brake swap '82 550gpz -> '83 550ltd
oldirtybob wrote:

I have an 83 kz550 LTD C3 and am looking to upgrade to dual front brakes, both forks have mounting points, but there is only one front brake. I assume this is because it shares forks with another model that has dual front brakes.Is there a dual-disc front wheel model that would directly swap?

Note of caution ---

Single front disc likely uses 14mm bore master cylinder
Dual front discs typically use larger 5/8" bore master cylinder.

Where 14mm is kept and used with dual disc conversion, front brake may be overly sensitive and tend to lock up the front wheel, especially in emergency braking situations or where there's poor road surface traction such as when wet, strewn with leaves, sand, etc.

Plenty of reports by riders who have busted their butts by losing control and crashing as result of front wheel lock up where 14mm master cylinder was being used for dual front discs.

It's virtually impossible to modulate the hand squeeze pressure in a panic stop situation.

Kawasaki had good reason to increase the front master cylinder size to 5/8" bore when going to the dual front discs. The Z1 factory dual front disc conversion option included a larger 5/8" bore master cylinder.

Imo, a single front disc isn't inferior, and offers the advantage of less unsprung weight. And when able to squall the tires during braking, stops equally fast. Dual discs are slower to heat, which is an advantage in road racing.

Many folks actually prefer the cleaner look of a single front disc, while others think the dual discs look far more impressive.

Strangely enough, some Honda GB500 owners are paying big bucks to convert from stock single front disc to a retro Brit- looking front drum brake.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Mar 2010 20:59 by Patton.

More
15 Mar 2010 20:15 #353751 by oldirtybob
Replied by oldirtybob on topic front brake swap '82 550gpz -> '83 550ltd
I would be switching the whole system anyway, but thanks for the words of caution