I was wondering, Brake bleeding.

• ran429
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
27 Mar 2006 19:08 #34786 by ran429
I was wondering, Brake bleeding. was created by ran429
I have a monojet syringe like thing to blast goo out from where you get a tooth pulled.

Waht I was wondering (since I remenber someone saying something about it) if I could use it to help bleed the front brakes on my bike.

I dont want to really go through 10 hours of bleeding again.

Think it will work? or someone also said Turkey Baster too but cant remember?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
27 Mar 2006 19:25 #34796 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic I was wondering, Brake bleeding.
just run a hose from each bleeder valve to a can and let them gravity bleed for a while as long as the end of the hoses are under brake fluid you dont have to worry about air getting in the line just keep the mastercylinder topped off.goodluck,happy wrenching ;)

More
08 Aug 2006 05:45 #67967 by squints
Replied by squints on topic I was wondering, Brake bleeding.
This may be really late but, huh, never too late to ask?

I've never bled brakes before and that doesn't sound too difficult. So, I just run a tube from the caliper into a can and let the fluid drain - while keeping the other end topped off? Thats it? How quickly does the fluid drain? How often would I have to top off the master cylinder.

Any advice?

Thank You!!!!

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

More
08 Aug 2006 17:51 #68119 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic I was wondering, Brake bleeding.
Have some fluid in the can so air will not get sucked back in. If you let reservoir go to low you will have to start all over again so check frequently. The syringe will allow you to quickly suck new fluid thru system but will drain reservoir just as quck. Bleeding brakes can be a long drawn out process.

More
08 Aug 2006 23:03 #68189 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic I was wondering, Brake bleeding.
Bench bleed them if you really want to get the air out and you don't have a high volume power bleeder. By putting them on a bench, you won't have to fight gravity. The air goes sideways instead of being forced down, where it doesn't want to go.

On a car, the vertical distance from master to caliper is usually less than on a bike, so a bike can be tougher than a car.

More
11 Aug 2006 03:06 #68681 by Wicked_KZ
Replied by Wicked_KZ on topic I was wondering, Brake bleeding.
I always run a tube from the bleeder valve back into the reservoir then slowly pump the brakes. This way it keeps sending the fluid back eliminating the need to constantly top off the reservoir. The air escapes as the fluid goes back into the reservoir and after about 10 or so pumps there is no air in the system at all.

Main thing to remember doing it this way is to make sure no fluid spits out and gets on the paint job so covering the tank with some old towels or a plastic bag is a good idea.

More
11 Aug 2006 04:04 #68684 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic I was wondering, Brake bleeding.
Good idea, Wicked, but I would caution against that until all of the old fluid is purged from the system. Even though I cleaned everything as best as I could, those first several pumps were very nasty.

Wireman's tip of having the free end of the hose connected to the bleeder valve under brake fluid is the critical difference. Once I did that, bleeding worked easily. It is also the recommended way from HelUSA , the manufacturer of my new brake lines.

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
11 Aug 2006 06:01 #68696 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic I was wondering, Brake bleeding.
I use a sqeeze type ketchup bottle and force the fluid up from the caliper. First I drain it all put to make sure that there isn't any old crappy fluid left, then I put a piece of battery tube on the tip of the bottle (not the bottle you but it in, but a Rubbermaid type with a pointed tip) and force it back up from the bottom (caliper bleed valve)The tip of the bottle is kind of mushroomed, so I use a ziptie to keep the tube attached to the bottle.