Reproduction wheels vs re-chrome?

More
11 Feb 2010 19:31 #347814 by Galactica
Reproduction wheels vs re-chrome? was created by Galactica
Has anyone had any experience with the reproduction wheels available from Z1E? In the next year or so, I hope to replace the rust damaged wheels on my 76 kz900 A4. Apparently they are no longer available from Kawasaki. My local chrome plating shop wants $200 each to re chrome vs +- $70 from Z1E. I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2010 20:10 #347823 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Reproduction wheels vs re-chrome?
get em stripped and learn to polish,then have em replated for about $20 each!

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Feb 2010 15:23 #348097 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Reproduction wheels vs re-chrome?
G, Unless going the "show/original" route, Price is always a prime consideration. My experiance is that old/rusted spokes/nipples are just that & need replacing.hoops are availible in amost any configuration. why not lace up a set of 17" rims & run current tires? ( i imagine with some research you could even find them in chromed steel, tho alum.(anodized) would be cheaper & lighter) Clean,shiny spoked wheels are a treat, and if maintained have an excellent lifetime, G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
13 Feb 2010 18:14 #348146 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic Reproduction wheels vs re-chrome?
My intent is to keep this bike as near to original as I can get it. This will happen over time. The original wheels are badly pitted from rust and the spokes and nipples are completely in need of replacement. I've heard good things about "Buchanan Spoke & Rim" in California. They manufacture their own stuff. It's a little pricey compared to Z1E. Front wheel $236 vs $70, rear wheel $236 vs $90, and spoke sets $110 vs $90. I can have the originals re- chromed for a little less than Buchanan's. If the wheels from Z1E are good quality, they seem like a bargain. I also know that most often you get what you pay for.

I just wondered if any one knew how good the wheels from Z1E really are?

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Feb 2010 19:39 #348157 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Reproduction wheels vs re-chrome?
i got both mine on e-bay by waiting and wathcing(it came with lester mags that i've shelved).....the spoke rims i got are in great/excellent shape....i would watch for a clean front and then watch for a clean rear...i got em both with all the hardware way cheap,by just letting go when the bids went above 60 or so...eventtualy i scored some really sweet rims cheap......might be the route to follow...you'll have a nice stock set to run and extra hardware...for way under buying reproduction stuff...and then you can shelf the ones you got now and re-chrome or restore as you see fit....that's what i did.....you got a killer 900 .....and I think they just look a little better with the original stuff imo.......

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
13 Feb 2010 22:49 #348174 by Galactica
That's really good advice Trianglelaguna. I've only ever bought 2 items off e-bay and only just in the last few days. I'll have to take time to check it each day. Right now the $ is tight, so I'm looking down the road. I generally like new stuff so the e-by thing feels odd. When you add up the cost of rims, spokes, and labour for lacing and trueing, the cost of new rims begins to get high. The idea of buying something off e-bay without seeing it in person is something I find weird. Like buying a pig in a poke.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
14 Feb 2010 02:58 - 14 Feb 2010 03:01 #348180 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Reproduction wheels vs re-chrome?
Galactica wrote:

That's really good advice Trianglelaguna. I've only ever bought 2 items off e-bay and only just in the last few days. I'll have to take time to check it each day. Right now the $ is tight, so I'm looking down the road. I generally like new stuff so the e-by thing feels odd. When you add up the cost of rims, spokes, and labour for lacing and trueing, the cost of new rims begins to get high. The idea of buying something off e-bay without seeing it in person is something I find weird. Like buying a pig in a poke.

You are absolutely correct about eBay but with time (and eventually, experience) one does develop a sense of what the 'deals' are and which parts are worth having. Admittedly, I still make blunders in judgment on eBay but those happen far less frequently than when I first started buying bike parts. The longer you buy on eBay and the longer you work on your bike, the more informed you become. At some point you realize you know more about your bike(s) than the sellers do...and then you are actually in charge of the situation :)

I now buy the majority of my 'stuff' via a combination of Z1E and eBay...and it's working.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 14 Feb 2010 03:01 by Mcdroid.

More
14 Feb 2010 09:39 #348223 by Galactica
As Plummen noted I need to learn to polish. I don't yet have a compressor, so at this point electric or hand tools are my options. I want to tackle the aluminum and chrome.

What tools, items, materials are required?

Are there any things I need to be careful of?

Are there any tutorials?

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
14 Feb 2010 10:01 - 14 Feb 2010 15:18 #348229 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Reproduction wheels vs re-chrome?
i agree with Mcrdoid 100% on the uneasiness in the begining at purchasing unseen items.....i also learned by trial and error....i now check for the sellers feedback and unless i'm really sure of the item,will only bid if they are 100% feedback sellers ,having a high sales count can help too,as i know they are not in it to make enemies....
But,new sellers with small sales counts are great ways to find deals cause they are just cleaning house,and not charging top bucks sometimes.....

i also bought stuff i did not need and either try and give it to folks here who can use it ,or,hope to someday take a spring and list it all at a decent price.....also is nice to have extras........

you already know this i'm sure but you have a great kz900,i wish i had a stock one like yours to keep around...you ride it on good trips too...so good for you!!!!!...more pics on your trips please!!!

you already know this too i'm sure,,,,,if you get some mothers polish in the little plastic tubs,some never dull polishing cans,some chrome boy liquid polish and steal all the old socks and underwear from around the house.....you can hand polish that brown kz's chrome and aluminum ,and each time you do it throw the rags away and do the final polish/wipe down with just clean rags...in time it will look pretty darn good....hand polishing with these chems is about 40.00 and it will really start to show....i can take an old dirty pitted rust spotted kz rim and almost restore it in a hour by just applying these cleaners and rubbing it with clean rags each time..also old tooth brushes for the nipples and chrome boy cleaner....not those nipples silly..anyway each cleaning will get some you missed and they will become very nice,you will get to where it just takes a swip with a clean rag once a week to knock the dust off.....grey spokes are not so ugly when the rest looks well cared for...peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 14 Feb 2010 15:18 by trianglelaguna.