mono conversion on shaft drive

• high toned son of a bitch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Mar 2006 17:49 #34518 by high toned son of a bitch
mono conversion on shaft drive was created by high toned son of a bitch
Ok,
I picked up a shock for my mono conversion. The only thing is, is that this will be on my shaft drive bike. The shock is off of a 96 FZR. It has the lower linkage on it, and a remote resivoir. I have the bike stripped to the bare frame, and have a few ways to try and make this work.

On the stock shaft drive swingarm, it has some very thin bracing in the front, right where monoshock would be. It is like stamped sheetmetal. I think I can cut it out if I reinforce it with some thicker strips instead of the stamped piece.

Anyways, I was looking at the post about the gentleman with the GSXR swingarm conversion (just a few down from this post), and that is about the same type of shock and lower linkage setup as what I have.
Sorry if I am unclear on the names of the parts, Obviously there is the shock, then the aluminum "rocker arm thingy", and the two thinner pieces that hold it all steady.:unsure:

Assume on my ideas here that I have unlimited clearance in the frame (except of course where the engine will be)

The simpelest solution would be to weld a bar across the frame up by the tank, put two tabs on it and mount the top of the shock up there. Then weld a piece across the swingarm, put two tabs on it, and mount the bottom of the shock there. This would limit me to about 2" of shock travel, as I would only be using the shock, not any of the linkage stuff.

Next would be to cut out the stamped steel piece in the swingarm, and mount the shock how the previously discussed poster:blush: did his. Is there any rhyme or reason on how to set up the linkage stuff on the bottom of the shock?

Lastly would be to mount it under the bike, but my last post about that left me just about as unclear on how to do it than before I posted it.:unsure:
Is it possible or should I forget about that?

I understand that most of you guys are doing this to chain drive bikes with different swingarms, but I cannot do anything about that. I really would like to do it to this bike. Not so much for balls to the walls handeling performance, but more for looks and the cool factor. I am a great welder and have the necessary tools for the task, just not all the knowledge. I am not looking for someone to hold my hand, just kinda point me in the right direction:)

THanks,
Mike

Post edited by: high toned son of a bitch, at: 2006/03/26 22:48
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2006 18:25 #34536 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic got a shock, and a question
Can you post some pics of your bike.. that might help a bit....

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

• Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Mar 2006 19:59 #34577 by high toned son of a bitch
Replied by high toned son of a bitch on topic got a shock, and a question
I have quiet a few pics but cant get them from my email to here. If I email them to someone would they put them up for me?

Also,
I found a few bikes on ebay that are late 80's and some 90's cruiser Kaw's. They are shaft drive, did any of these have a monoshock from the factory? LIke the Vulcan, ZG line, etc.

Thanks,
Mike
mbush4.photosite.com/~photos/tn/8_104.ts1143429842912.jpg

• Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Mar 2006 19:59 #34578 by high toned son of a bitch
Replied by high toned son of a bitch on topic got a shock, and a question
I have quiet a few pics but cant get them from my email to here. If I email them to someone would they put them up for me?

Also,
I found a few bikes on ebay that are late 80's and some 90's cruiser Kaw's. They are shaft drive, did any of these have a monoshock from the factory? LIke the Vulcan, ZG line, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

More
26 Mar 2006 22:51 #34617 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic got a shock, and a question
high toned son of a bitch wrote:

Bring up a pic in your email, right click on it, select copy, then open up Paint and paste it in there, you may need to resize, save it, repeat for the rest of them. if you cant get it to work, my email is s_u_fire@hotmail.com
Scott
This is how I told sbjones to resize pics:

"To resize them, I copied/pasted them into paint, then clicked "edit" "select all" then clicked "image" and "stretch/skew", this brings up a little window, only use the top half, the "stretch" part, there are places to type in numbers for horizontal and vertical stretch that you want. make sure you type the same number in both or the image will be messed up. to get your pics small enough, I used "25" for the blanks, this made the pic 1/4 size, its a little smaller than the max size for KZR, but its simple to do. you can play around and get it to the max if you want. next, the image is the right size, but theres a huge white zone as large as the image before you resized it. to get rid of the "white" you can either: 1) scroll down and over to the bottom right of the "white" put your mouse over the very corner and you will get a special arrow that will let you click and drag the "white" to what ever dimention you want(bring it up to your image, it may take a couple times to get it all the way to your image) 2) click somewhere on the screen to deselect the image, as you move around, there should be numbers in a grey bar at the bottom that change in relation to where the mouse is on the image or "white" area. put your pointer(mouse) up close to the bottom right of your image (not the bottom of the "white") and you should see the numbers on the bottom that indicate where your pointer is. remember these 2 numbers (when i was doing yours, after I resized to 25%, the numbers were around 515, 385) next, click "image" and then "attributes" this pops up a window, there are 2 places to type in numbers, width and height, type in the 2 numbers I got you to remember from before, and make sure the units are in pixels. this will resize the "white" to the very corner of your image, making the total size small enough to upload into KZR."
Good luck

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/03/27 01:53

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/03/27 01:58

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
27 Mar 2006 05:16 #34638 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic got a shock, and a question
if you cant get them to work email them to me at btchalice@sbcglobal.net and ill post them

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.