Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 26 Mar 2006 17:10 #34508

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Again, a casualty of having taken this thing apart a few years ago and not remembering what went where - especially if the bike was modified prior to my purchase of it back in 1988!:blink: But I know the 900 76 LTD did NOT come from the factory with a Centerstand. I have one on this LTD Frame - so it must have been added by the previous owner. So it's powdercoated, new looking and mounted on my frame. Put my chain on today and low and behold the centerstand touches the chain. I'm thinking there must have been a "stop" or something keeping the centerstand from touching the chain. Does anyone know what "typically" might have been used for a "stop" and what it would have looked like? (where mounted?) Was there a stock "stopper" that might have been used? I'd really like to keep the centerstand. Thanks.
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 26 Mar 2006 17:20 #34510

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive never had a bike with a center stand but im guessing there would be some brackets that bolt to rear footpeg brackets.maybe block it with something to keep it off your chain for now and see if it will clear ltd exhuast before you go out and buy kz brackets for it.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 26 Mar 2006 17:33 #34512

• skippr76KZ
  • User
;) Having a tough time finding those LTD exhaust so have pretty much resigned to getting something else. Probably 4 into 1 Vance & Hines. Which I hope will not interfere with the centerstand. Which is an excellent and related follow-up point wireman! (I'll consult with Jeff @Z1 on that one.) Had to pop-off the master link I had installed - totally forgot to cut the 98 link chain down to 92. Hard twist with the screw-driver and blam! the link "launched" hit me on the cheek just 1/2" below the eye. Cut me good - :S Who'da thunk you should wear eye protection when messing with a chain! Only for us rookie wrenchers! Cut down to 92 links. Happily installed, small black eye and cut (battle scar) to show for it. Now how to keep that chain off the center stand.....:whistle:
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 26 Mar 2006 17:47 #34517

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive got a vance and hines i took off bike,looks like it fits pretty much like a kerker to me.thats why most centerstands were removed back then for header clearance.:S

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 26 Mar 2006 18:42 #34545

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Make up a "L" piece of metal drill a hole at the top big enough to slip over the rear foot peg. Small end will keep it off the chain. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 26 Mar 2006 18:52 #34548

• djfisher22
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a Kawasaki information center program with all the diagrams and yes,the 76 B1 doesn't show a centerstand but the A4 and A5 did.I can't tell from the diagrams if there is something for the stand to bump up against,but tomorrow I'll check my 75 Z1 and see how the center stand sits.If you PM me your email addy I'll send you the parts diagrams for the three models and if it'll help a pic of my Z1 stand in the up position.

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 26 Mar 2006 19:33 #34567

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Roy-b, thank. Good idea. I'll see what I can come up with. Of course I'm still open to a near stock solution if one exits, which it seems like maybe there's not. DJFisher, I also checked the Kaw parts diagram for the 76 A series and only saw a rubber stopper, which I believe is used to stop the centerstand from rubbing the frame or swingarm. Maybe LTDRider might weigh in on this? Not sure if he ever put a center stand on his 76LTD.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 26 Mar 2006 20:44 #34593

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
Most of the Kaws I have seen with a center stand have a flat piece of metal on the left exhaust pipe that the rubber stopper hits in the folded position ,, If that helps

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 27 Mar 2006 04:09 #34633

• hoss
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a header on my 900, and the right foot of the center stand rest on the mounting bracket. It has a peice of metal weled at 90 degrees on the bracket. I hope that some help.

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 28 Mar 2006 12:42 #34982

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Skipper:
Since the 900LTD was designed without a centerstand (stock pipes interfere), your ride has been modded. So the stop bracket must have been a mod too? Do you have a tapped hole in the bottom of the swingarm that you don't know what to do with?
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 28 Mar 2006 13:34 #35003

• skippr76KZ
  • User
LTDrider, I'll check the swingarm out, but I don't think there's an available tapped hole. However, I think I may be able to modify the left passenger foot peg frame hole to accomodate an extending L-Bracket and stay pretty hidden per roy-b's suggestion. Stay tuned for an update and pics.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Centerstand-Chain-900LTD 30 Mar 2006 04:56 #35392

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Not sure, but I think I have an OK design that I fabricated for a "center stand stopper" that will work from the left-side exhast-mount hole. I'll let you know how it works out.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

• Page: