Anyone have a tank bag?

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
20 Jan 2010 18:54 #343687 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
ahhhh saxonkz and that little shit dog he drove cross country to a motogp that did'nt allow pets:silly: .....he let it eat outta his mouth at amy parents house,i think the dog was dominate over ole larry:woohoo:

Old Man Rock wrote:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Here, follow what this little guy is doing, keep ya warmth.... :blink:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2010 18:55 #343688 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
Did Sax teach Lu-Lu to do that?

What the hell.... :blink:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
20 Jan 2010 22:05 #343713 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
Thanks for all the pics and suggestions! Looks like the thread has went to hell now :laugh: One question, do you all leave the bag on the bike when you park it in public or do you take it with you? I could see those getting stolen pretty easy since they are mostly held on with megnets and one strap. I'm considering buying one if I can find a decent sized one for less than $100. I'm going to check into the Wolfman ones since they are American made!

Also, I wonder if you could use some of that clear tape 3M makes that protects paint to keep the bags from scuffing up our tanks. I've wanted to pick some up, so this could be a good excuse if I get a bag.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

More
20 Jan 2010 22:14 #343714 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
toadson,

I usually take mine off when I get off the bike. The strap has a quick release and the bag has a handle.

I've never used Wolfman's tank bags, but I do have a Wolfman glove box on my KLR650. It is well made.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

More
21 Jan 2010 02:11 #343723 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
toadson wrote:

...wonder if you could use some of that clear tape 3M makes that protects paint to keep the bags from scuffing up our tanks. I've wanted to pick some up, so this could be a good excuse if I get a bag.

Google Scotchcal for many articles including:
www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-tank-bag/

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jan 2010 02:22 #343725 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
I was looking at these magnetic bags myself and I was amazed at how strong these magnets are... Thought at the moment about paint surfaces and possibilities...

One thought came to mind, thin cloth interface... As strong as these magnets where, should hold just fine thus protecting the paint under neath... Yes/No?

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
21 Jan 2010 02:37 #343726 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
Old Man Rock wrote:

I was looking at these magnetic bags myself and I was amazed at how strong these magnets are... Thought at the moment about paint surfaces and possibilities...

One thought came to mind, thin cloth interface... As strong as these magnets where, should hold just fine thus protecting the paint under neath... Yes/No?

The above link includes:

The bottom of the Model 246 base appears to be made from some type of vinyl. There are two schools of thought on tank bag base design: some claim that a tank bag should have a base made from a very soft material, but others claim a harder material is better.

The soft material can initially work to protect the fuel tank from scratches, but the soft material can attract and hold tiny pieces of sand or grit, which are then ground into the bike's painted surfaces. A harder material may not hold the grit, but could be tougher on the surface if the bag starts bouncing around.

Every tank bag I've ever tried has scratched the paint on my bike, no matter what type of base, so I suggest if you're going to use a tank bag that you first cover the surface of the tank with a paint protector like 3M Scotchcal. Scotchcal is a clear material that's easy to apply, easy to remove and it's nearly invisible.

It's designed to protect painted surfaces of motorcycles or automobiles. It's used on many expensive cars to protect areas prone to stone damage, such as wheel arches, bumpers and hoods or other areas with a high probability of wear.

Another solution is to stop by your local hardware store and pick up some of that soft rubber mesh matting that is used to line kitchen cabinets. I've seen a big roll at Wal-Mart for only a few bucks. This same type of mesh is sold to go under area rugs to stop them from sliding on wood floors, so if you're thinking big, you can probably pick up a 4x8' sheet and use the leftover to line your toolbox. But take it from me, Scotchcal is the way to go...

Some tanks (hint, hint) are just too beautiful to risk screwing up. :cheer:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Jan 2010 08:37 #343748 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
toadson wrote:

... One question, do you all leave the bag on the bike when you park it in public or do you take it with you? I could see those getting stolen pretty easy since they are mostly held on with magnets and one strap...

Yes and No.

Yes I leave it on most of the time... in places I know and or trust. Fortunately, I have found that most parts of Canada are like that.

No if I have something I just can't lose in the bag... come to think of it I have never taken the bag off in public. :blink:

All common sense huh.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
21 Jan 2010 18:15 - 21 Jan 2010 18:24 #343807 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
For Years, ECLIPSE was the standard. later models affixed w/ a 3 point heavy plastic connectored harness which treaded tru a soft wetsuit like material pad. 3 external pouches, a large central space topped w/ a clear plastic sheath for map. If you opt for a magnetic bag, don't put your' wallet in it. I de-gaused all my credit cards once that way. Luck G. PS, Our tanks vent thru gas caps. a full tank/warm weather can cause fuel vapor/fuel to ecape tank & be trapped by bag/pad, A partner destoyed a beautiful paint job this way... g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1
Last edit: 21 Jan 2010 18:24 by gane.

More
22 Jan 2010 09:11 - 22 Jan 2010 09:13 #343923 by tsar
Replied by tsar on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
For city riding I found this thin tank bag from Gears,It's an excellent little bag about 2.5 inches thick thats perfect for carrying stuff on short rides or everyday stuff like smokes phones stuff like that.It holds on with 4 magnets and is very sturdy and is not thick enough to be affected by the wind.

BIG MIKE
www.ironspartans.ca
Μολὼν λαβέ

Montreal,Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 09:13 by tsar.

More
22 Jan 2010 09:24 - 22 Jan 2010 09:35 #343925 by tsar
Replied by tsar on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
Here are some pics

BIG MIKE
www.ironspartans.ca
Μολὼν λαβέ

Montreal,Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 09:35 by tsar.

More
22 Jan 2010 09:42 #343929 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic Anyone have a tank bag?
trianglelaguna wrote:

once doing a wheel stand i came down way hard.....on my bag....are those the tanks bags,,,,,cause if they are ....i keep mine away from the tank now....i like em to be seat bags....

:woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo:

Funniest thing I've read all year! :laugh:
Reminded me of Randy from the show "My Name is Earl" :silly:

Thanks for the laugh

1978 Z1-R