76 kz900 steering head bearing question.

More
29 Dec 2009 10:28 #341084 by Galactica
76 kz900 steering head bearing question. was created by Galactica
I am about to perform maintenance on the steering bearings on my 76 kz900. I'm not having any problems, it's just time to do so. My question is regarding an upgrade to roller bearings. The normal ball bearings seem to be fine. I just regreased the front hub bearings and the old grease and bearings looked just fine so I have no reason to suspect any difference in the steering head.

Is the upgrade worth while? $50 plus shipping vs $0 just to regrease. What are the installation issues? I believe the inner races need to be exchanged. How do you do that?

Thanx for your input.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2009 11:02 #341089 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 76 kz900 steering head bearing question.
I say if the old bearings and races are good, clean 'em, grease 'em, put 'em back in. The roller bearings tend to last longer, but they create a tiny bit more drag. I'd wait until the balls have dimpled the races before changing them. The old races have to be driven out of the steering head. The lower one can be a real pita sometimes. You will likely need a pickle fork or bearing press to get the lower bearing off the steering head.
ymmv

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
29 Dec 2009 12:06 #341096 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 76 kz900 steering head bearing question.
definately change em B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
29 Dec 2009 20:20 #341154 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic 76 kz900 steering head bearing question.
I have noticed when I have the bike on the center stand, and jacked up so the front wheel is off the ground, there seems to be a detent in the steering at dead center. Is this normal, or is there an issue with the bearings?

I'm a bid of a procrastinator, so I've done the front hub, the rear hub, and swing arm to put off tearing apart the whole front end. Although that probably isn't much more work than the back end.

Wondering about the 1/8th inch thick washer for the right side of the rear axle. After I took it apart, I got things mixed up. Does this washer go inside the chain adjuster next to the spacer or outside the adjuster next to the castlated nut? I'm pretty sure it goes outside, just want to be sure.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
29 Dec 2009 22:35 #341160 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 76 kz900 steering head bearing question.
Galactica wrote:

I have noticed when I have the bike on the center stand, and jacked up so the front wheel is off the ground, there seems to be a detent in the steering at dead center. Is this normal, or is there an issue with the bearing?

Galactica,
That detent is the beginning of the end in your steering head bearings. Definantly not normal and I would guess that you could not get the preload correct on those bearings without it feeling notchy. The tapered roller bearings are probably overkill, but if you need to replace your bearings, then you may as well use 'em. I have seen bicycles that got notchy with the ball bearing style headsets, so it seems a worthy upgrade. I second what TexasKZ said. My top race came out easy, but the bottom was a fight. Funny, my Clymer manual suggests that you use a wooden dowel to remove the races HAHAHAHAH!

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
30 Dec 2009 08:28 #341184 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic 76 kz900 steering head bearing question.
I just changed mine last week. Mine also had the detent which is a sure sign to replace them. It is after all about safety. Here is a quick tutorial on what is involved.

First I used a handle for a floor jack to remove the cups

Here is a pic of the tapered roller bearings. The larger one goes to the bottom.

The top one will end up being flush with the frame, and the bottom one will go all the way in untill it stops

Here is the bottom one driven all the way home

And the top one is flush

Removing the lower race from the stem

And finally the lower bearing installed on the stem with a liberal coat of grease, waiting to be installed into the frame.

All in all it took about 30 minutes to do. Keep in mind my bike was torn down to the frame at the time so it may take a little bit longer if you have to remove the fork tubes and all that is connected. It is well worth the money spent to know it is done and all is good when done. Good Luck

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL