seat Modification to avoid Cramps?

• Martynbiker
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1993 KZ1000P
More
02 Dec 2009 21:04 #337181 by Martynbiker
seat Modification to avoid Cramps? was created by Martynbiker
I purchased a KZ1000P yesterday, 1993 vintage, pic attached.I rode the Bike 140 miles home and while being really nice it damn near killed me!

The reason is I got cramps in my inner thigh, left leg from the seat being so wide! Is there any way to narrow it?

Thanks

Martyn

If you cant fix it with a Hammer....... it's gotta be an Electrical problem...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2009 04:46 #337199 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic seat Modification to avoid Cramps?
I can't ride a bike with floor boards. I almost fell over on a RoadGlide because of cramps.

I'm sure you can find another seat. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
03 Dec 2009 05:03 #337209 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic seat Modification to avoid Cramps?
i found recovering stock ltd seat with leather makes them a lot more bearable,maybe try recovering seat in better material B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 Dec 2009 05:51 #337219 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic seat Modification to avoid Cramps?
Wow! I always figured cop bikes must have pretty good seats. That said. I have 3 seats for my 900ltd. An orig stepped seat, a big old straight Lilly Pad seat and a Corbin Gunfighter. When I got the Gunfighter I was disappointed. It is hard as a rock and I figured it would ride like a plank. But it turned out to be my favorite. Just sold my KZ750ltd with a stock seat that I hated. Great bike, terrible seat. My 77'650b has a stock seat and it is very comfortable. I have a double bucket for it also that is horrid. I like to move around a little. Can't stand forward controls either or monkey bars. Recliners are for watching TV.

Nice looking COP Bike anyway. GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
03 Dec 2009 12:39 #337265 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic seat Modification to avoid Cramps?
I'm guessing that you mean that the seat is so wide you have to curl your legs back in to put your feet on the floorboards? Might be that you are just not used to that seat. But if you otherwise like the seat (and it does look good on that bike), most good motorcycle shops (and some auto apoulstry shops) can narrow the seat for you.

• Martynbiker
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1993 KZ1000P
More
03 Dec 2009 23:03 #337401 by Martynbiker
Replied by Martynbiker on topic seat Modification to avoid Cramps?
polkat wrote:

I'm guessing that you mean that the seat is so wide you have to curl your legs back in to put your feet on the floorboards? Might be that you are just not used to that seat. But if you otherwise like the seat (and it does look good on that bike), most good motorcycle shops (and some auto apoulstry shops) can narrow the seat for you.

Maybe its just me, I am used to narrow seats ( my last bike was a Suzuki DR650, narrow n hard!) i kinda felt like the circulation was being cut off in my inner thigh, its OK when just cruising but having to lift leg to change gear with that damn rocker pedal arrangement....Grrr!!
Maybe that did it?
Anyway I will probably get used to it. it wasnt so bad today, did 70 miles on her and I didnt cramp up.

Thanks

Martyn

If you cant fix it with a Hammer....... it's gotta be an Electrical problem...

More
04 Dec 2009 10:03 #337467 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic seat Modification to avoid Cramps?
Modding a seat is not difficult. The difficult part is figuring out what and how to mod. You might want to search the zrxoa for threads on Mr. Wog's seat mods. As a rule, wider is better since that spreads the weight over a larger area. Perhaps the problem is a sharp corner or an inconviently located curve. These are easy to fix with a standard electric knife.
Let the chopping begin..................

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough