Sprung solo seat mounting?

More
01 Dec 2009 12:04 #336879 by polkat
Sprung solo seat mounting? was created by polkat
I want to mount a spring type solo seat on my KZ750H. The seat area of the frame is stock. Has anyone done this, and how did you work out the mounting? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2009 17:34 #336924 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Sprung solo seat mounting?
Never done it, and never seen the particular frame you're talking about, but I did have a kz650h1 (CSR) that if I'm not mistaken is almost identical in frame to the 750h1. Seems to me you'd have to get a front pivot mount welded on, wouldn't be too hard to do, just get a couple of eyelets welded up at the correct spacing for the front pivot bolt on the seat. Could be done down below where the rear of the tank mounts to keep the seat from gaining height through the process.

You'd also have to have a secure place for the rear springs to mount. This is where fabrication would get more in depth I would think. The battery box is very close under the seat height, and right in the way of where you'd want to weld in a flat support for the springs. So you'd almost have to relocate the battery box, at least drop it down a few inches to make room for the support. A good thick strip of steel, drilled out at the right points for the spring bolts and you'd be set. Relocating the battery and wiring might become a bit of a headache though... just my $.02

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
01 Dec 2009 19:51 #336990 by dragnkaw1428
Replied by dragnkaw1428 on topic Sprung solo seat mounting?
anarki650 wrote:

Never done it, and never seen the particular frame you're talking about, but I did have a kz650h1 (CSR) that if I'm not mistaken is almost identical in frame to the 750h1. Seems to me you'd have to get a front pivot mount welded on, wouldn't be too hard to do, just get a couple of eyelets welded up at the correct spacing for the front pivot bolt on the seat. Could be done down below where the rear of the tank mounts to keep the seat from gaining height through the process.

You'd also have to have a secure place for the rear springs to mount. This is where fabrication would get more in depth I would think. The battery box is very close under the seat height, and right in the way of where you'd want to weld in a flat support for the springs. So you'd almost have to relocate the battery box, at least drop it down a few inches to make room for the support. A good thick strip of steel, drilled out at the right points for the spring bolts and you'd be set. Relocating the battery and wiring might become a bit of a headache though... just my $.02

Where did you get that tail section for your bike? That is freakin cool!!

Andy

More
02 Dec 2009 03:58 #337021 by anarki650
Made it out of a CB550 tank and stock seat pan. And THANKS!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
02 Dec 2009 06:36 #337034 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Sprung solo seat mounting?
anarki, his 750H has the same frame as the 650CSR.

More
02 Dec 2009 13:15 - 02 Dec 2009 13:19 #337093 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Sprung solo seat mounting?
What about this? Looking at my frame just behind the tank, I realised that if I welded anything across the frame for the front seat mount attachment, I'd have a problem. Either I'd have trouble getting the air cleaner cap out, or if I left that clear, I'd have trouble getting the battery out. Then this idea hit me; use 1/8" steel plate bolted over the battery cage mounts, then mount the front hinge to that. It would be easily removable when necessary. Here's a paint drawing of what I mean...

The hinge part probably would not stick out as far as in the drawing. It will work, but my question is would it be strong enough?
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Dec 2009 13:19 by polkat.

More
02 Dec 2009 15:27 #337126 by anarki650
I think it'd be strong enough, but will it be too high? Seems like you'd add some height doing it that way, which to me would make that style seat look kind of awkward...that type seat (in my humble opinion) needs to be slung low for it to look right. If you've got long legs (something I fall a little short in...pun intended) it probably wouldn't be an issue, but for those of us with a short inseam I think it'd get a little high...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
02 Dec 2009 20:30 #337178 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Sprung solo seat mounting?
The rear of the bike has been lowered 3". Should be at a good height. Now I'm trying to think out a mount for the rear seat springs. Any ideas?