Mulholand Rear Shocks

More
29 Nov 2009 10:27 #336484 by kenskz1000
Mulholand Rear Shocks was created by kenskz1000
I just bought a set of Mulholand's. Can the springs be taken off so I can have them powder coated? If so how? I want to clean them up for my 77 1000 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2009 10:54 #336491 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Mulholand Rear Shocks
Usually, you just compress the spring and the silver ring at the top will slide down slightly then slide off the shaft completely because it has a cutout in the ring.

I use a contraption I rigged up for compressing the spring, but you can buy them too. Sometimes, if the springs are soft enough, you can compress them enough by hand.

Either way, set the preload to the minimum setting before trying to remove it. It makes it much easier.
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Nov 2009 14:36 - 29 Nov 2009 14:37 #336546 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Mulholand Rear Shocks
i would mount them and try them out first.
are the eals still good?
The gas/oil, may have leaked out years ago?? make sure the springs are the right wieght by seting the sag . if u cannot get the proper sag level u will need new springs of a dif wieght.
good luck, have fun, keep it twisted.B)

Loudhvx, that compressor is great.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 29 Nov 2009 14:37 by mark1122.

More
29 Nov 2009 16:06 - 29 Nov 2009 16:06 #336572 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Mulholand Rear Shocks
I bought a set of spring compressors on ebay to do mine. $25 + shipping:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 29 Nov 2009 16:06 by rstnick.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Nov 2009 17:05 #336601 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Mulholand Rear Shocks
B) B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
29 Nov 2009 19:35 #336636 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Mulholand Rear Shocks
We cut a notch in an old lawnmower blade. One person slips it into the spring and presses down while the other person removes the clip. Pat. Pending :)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
30 Nov 2009 06:01 #336670 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Mulholand Rear Shocks
Locozuna wrote:

We cut a notch in an old lawnmower blade. One person slips it into the spring and presses down while the other person removes the clip. Pat. Pending :)

Hmmmmmm, a lawn mower blade that pops off under spring pressure and go flying around the room. Sounds interesting.... :blink:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
30 Nov 2009 06:42 #336674 by Locozuna
Bluemeanie wrote:

Locozuna wrote:

Hmmmmmm, a lawn mower blade that pops off under spring pressure and go flying around the room. Sounds interesting.... :blink:

Flying lawnmower blades does sound interesting! Maybe in the next Saw movie. ;) Truth is it's not too hard to compress the springs. I was a little surprised at first. At least on the Mulholand shocks. With both hands on the blade all you really have to do is make sure you have a stable base for the shock to sit in. Then put your weight to it. The other person just removes the clip and it's done. Same to reinstall the clip. If you keep both hands on the blade there is not much chance of a flying blade. Used it 3 or 4 times. Made the tool in about 2 minutes and used it for the same. Not for everyone and understand the apprehension. Blade sits there for 364.5 of the 365 days a year. I guess if I was a shop or did it more I could justify making a super duper spring compressor or buying one. If I was that concerned about it I guess I'd take it to a shop and slip the guy a couple bucks. Flying Lawnmower Blades Batman!!! ;) As Bluemeanie rightly points out it is not something to take for granted because it is dangerous. Anytime you have something compressed there is danger. Be careful with any compression device!!!

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
30 Nov 2009 07:02 #336676 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Mulholand Rear Shocks
carl......i rekon ....mmmm...bisquits and mustard....

this is one more trick/tricks i've learned on this awesome kzr sight...thanks guys...always wondered about those magical cut outs and how a guy could access the springs and re-paint bodies and springs.....next???...what is the best coating that'l stick with the action they will be doing???

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
30 Nov 2009 09:02 #336690 by Locozuna
Don't like heating up springs so I'm not crazy on powder coating. Whatever you paint make sure the paint for the springs is not too brittle. The shock body is less of a problem.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
30 Nov 2009 11:46 - 03 Dec 2009 15:59 #336713 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Mulholand Rear Shocks
Actually, with due respect to loco, an old boomerang is better than a lawnmower blade, because if it flies loose, it just comes back. B)

Meanwhile, with spring preload set in lightest position, clamp shock upright with bottom eye in vise, use grip and arm strength to push down and compress the spring enough to remove the top retainer clip.

Can do it solo, but easier with an assistant. :cheer:

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

Edited -- to add image and suggest using lightest spring preload setting.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Dec 2009 15:59 by Patton.

More
30 Nov 2009 12:58 #336718 by Locozuna
Patton wrote:

Actually, with due respect to loco, an old boomerang is better than a lawnmower blade, because if it flies loose, it just comes back. B)

Meanwhile, clamp shock upright with bottom eye in vise, use grip and arm strength to push down and compress the spring enough to remove the top retainer clip.

Can do it solo, but easier with an assistant. :cheer:

Good Luck! :)

Nothing wrong with a better mousetrap. But if style counts (and it does) I suggest a baterang. Best part is it's right there in your utility belt when you need it.

;)

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied