Removing and installing shocks - advice

More
27 Nov 2009 12:34 #336168 by YUKABODOS
Removing and installing shocks - advice was created by YUKABODOS
So dudes,

I want to remove the shocks to polish them up on my new buffing machine. I have a centerstand. I was hoping to just throw the bike up onto the centerstand, remove one shock at a time and clean and polish.

Question is...Anything to be concerned about when removing the shock? will it come off easily? Is there a procedure required to remove the shock. \

I have never done this before and I am looking for advise, just in case the shock comes off and knocks my 2 front chicklets out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2009 12:39 #336169 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Removing and installing shocks - advice
you can put block of wood or something between tire and rear fender if you want to hold it up while you do both.normally i just take bottem bolt out first,swing shock up then remove acorn nut from top and remove shock(reverse to install)carefull though cuz once the shocks are off then youll want to remove everything else off of rear half of bike to detail the frame and swingarm cuz theyll look bab next to shiny shocks! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 Nov 2009 13:24 #336178 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic Removing and installing shocks - advice
Thanks, just wanted to make sure that they were not loaded under any tension and weren't going to "POP" off and hurt somebody, namely me.

I am already nursing a set of busted knuckles from last Saturday's adventures in Garage land.

I must say though, the buffing wheele and PRO grade polishing compound make short work of sidecovers, after the scratches are sanded smooth and buffed with steel wool.

More
27 Nov 2009 14:27 #336186 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Removing and installing shocks - advice
Only do one shock removal/re-installation at a time as the swingarm will move causing the tire to hit the rear fender.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Nov 2009 18:03 #336211 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Removing and installing shocks - advice
Put it on the center stand, put a block under the wheel that fits snugly between the tire and the floor, and you can take them both off at the same time.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada