Frozen Rear Brake Caliper?

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
26 Nov 2009 04:57 #336003 by Qdude
Frozen Rear Brake Caliper? was created by Qdude
My back brake had been sticking, the bike is a new purchase and had been sitting for 18 months.

I have the rear brake caliper off of the bike.

I removed the pads, pulled the two bolts and removed it from the arm that connects it to the axle.

I cannot get the piston to move. It wont budge. I rapped it with a wooden dowel and mallet through the aperture for the back brake disk, nothing.

Then I hooked up to the master cylinder again to use it to push the piston out. Would have been better with three hands. Still nothing.

I want to get this thing apart to see why it is sticking.

Suggestions?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• unomike
  • User
  • Biker for 40 years.
More
26 Nov 2009 08:48 #336024 by unomike
Replied by unomike on topic Frozen Rear Brake Caliper?
You might want to hook up an air hose to the caliper's brake line inlet and use the compressed air to force it out. But for safety's sake use a c-clamp to prevent the cup from shooting out when you apply air pressure. Try soaking it in penetrating oil and let it soak for a few days before attempting this. If the cup still refuses to come out while under compressed air, rap the caliper gently with a hard plastic mallet to start the cup's removal.

Things to think about when you try this,

1. Safety Glasses,
2. Use c-clamp (this is a must!)
3. Start with low air pressure and step it up gradually as you work out the piston cup with the plactic mallet.
4. Use penetrating oil to lossen corrosion.

Finally, this is a must ... get a Sailor's Dictonary of cuss words. It may come in handy.

Own: 1980 Kaw KZ1300,Stage 1 kit,K&N pods
1972 Harley Davidson XHL Sportster, 1972 Suzuki T500, 1974 Hodaka 125 Dirt Squirt, 1980 Honda 250 VTR, 1983 Yamaha 750 seca and a 1974 yamaha GT80 for my son.
Bristol, Tennessee. USA

More
26 Nov 2009 09:19 #336036 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Frozen Rear Brake Caliper?
unomike wrote:

You might want to hook up an air hose to the caliper's brake line inlet and use the compressed air to force it out. But for safety's sake use a c-clamp to prevent the cup from shooting out when you apply air pressure. Try soaking it in penetrating oil and let it soak for a few days before attempting this. If the cup still refuses to come out while under compressed air, rap the caliper gently with a hard plastic mallet to start the cup's removal.

Things to think about when you try this,

1. Safety Glasses,
2. Use c-clamp (this is a must!)
3. Start with low air pressure and step it up gradually as you work out the piston cup with the plactic mallet.
4. Use penetrating oil to lossen corrosion.

Finally, this is a must ... get a Sailor's Dictonary of cuss words. It may come in handy.

Am not quite understanding about the c-clamp, in thinking the idea is to let the piston shoot out from application of air pressure. And not wanting a c-clamp to be holding the piston in position while attempting to remove the piston. :S

Have been using a rag or wood slat as exit cushion, keeping fingers clear, and air blasting away. :)

Anyhow, let us know if the air pressure method fails, and we'll get to the drastic more desperate methods. :woohoo:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
26 Nov 2009 10:20 #336046 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic Frozen Rear Brake Caliper?
try compressing the piston back in to the caliper with a c clamp. or a caliper compressor.

or the compressed air through the line inlet method works great too, you'll need about 100psi id say just to be sure, with a piece of wood that the piston can hit and not get damaged when it shoots out.
watch your fingers though, it'll bust em!

Ive done that on stuck car pistons, it works every time.

Luke

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
26 Nov 2009 13:16 - 26 Nov 2009 13:36 #336067 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Frozen Rear Brake Caliper?
Excellent! Thanks all.

The C-clamp is to keep the piston contained, not secured. just like the rag or piece of wood that was also suggested.

My only worry is that the piston is stuck in the 100% fully retracted position. If I hammer down when it is already down then I am both spinning my wheels and possibly damaging the part.

The piston is probably 3/16 of an inch up extended laterally past the rubber grommet that is past the plane of the caliper housing. The piston and grommet together are a half inch out past the caliper housing. I am going to take a peek at my other bike to see if this position is partially extended. Then I am going to whack it with a mallet. (I don't have an air compressor, Christmas is coming guys)

This appears to be out far enough that it should be ok to hammer on it.

I'll get a pic.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Last edit: 26 Nov 2009 13:36 by Qdude.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
26 Nov 2009 16:44 #336077 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Frozen Rear Brake Caliper?
1) penetrating oil for a few days, replenish and move around, THEN............

2) try a temperature extreme -- freezer, then the air gun

3) or could try an oven then air gun, and since you're rebuilding it anyway -- non-metal parts damaged by the oven *may* (I did say *may* here), *may* not matter to you
(why I'd try #2 and the air gun first...)

It's probably oxidation of the metal that's making it stick. A combo of temp, oil and air pressure should
pop that sucker outta there like a BOO-SNAPPY!!! :P

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
26 Nov 2009 22:02 #336105 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Frozen Rear Brake Caliper?
I don't think it was meant that you hit the piston with the hammer, but rather tap the side of the caliper housing to help dislodge the piston. I have found that soaking a piston with a penatrating oil for just a few days will often work on it's own with just brake fluid pressure. Worse case scenerio you can always find another caliper.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
27 Nov 2009 01:12 #336109 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Frozen Rear Brake Caliper?
Got it out with your help all, thank you. I used another brake master cylinder and mallet taps.

Crusty, mung covered dirty metal.

I soaked the rubber parts in gasoline (It was the 18 month old stuff that I drained out of the gas tank. I was trying to recycle.) and it seems to have "bloated" the inner O ring and louvered rubber protective outer gasket dust seal.

Read here i one of my manuals...

"Use only brake fluid, isopropyl or ethyl alcohol to clean brake parts.... gasoline, motor oil or any other petroleum distillate will cause deterioration of the rubber parts"

Well whoop-dee friggin doo, I guess I am buying me a rebuild kit tomorrow...

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.