Seperating welded frame tubes?

More
26 Nov 2009 01:23 - 26 Nov 2009 01:25 #335990 by polkat
Seperating welded frame tubes? was created by polkat
What's the cleanest way to seperate frame tubes welded in a T shape, and retain as much of the original tubes as is possible? I want to reuse the tubes in a slightly different position. I know the 'shaft' of the T can simply be sawed away, but that removes a bit of the end. Can they be chisled loose? Ideas?
Last edit: 26 Nov 2009 01:25 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
26 Nov 2009 04:24 #336001 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Seperating welded frame tubes?
polkat wrote:

What's the cleanest way to seperate frame tubes welded in a T shape, and retain as much of the original tubes as is possible? I want to reuse the tubes in a slightly different position. I know the 'shaft' of the T can simply be sawed away, but that removes a bit of the end. Can they be chisled loose? Ideas?

All depends on how good they were welded. This is a pictures type of a question. Post some and you'll get all kinds of opinions.

• unomike
  • User
  • Biker for 40 years.
More
26 Nov 2009 07:52 #336020 by unomike
Replied by unomike on topic Seperating welded frame tubes?
I weld for a living so on occasions There will be a design change that require removing a weld joint without ruining the work piece. This is how I break a weld loose: Use a die grinder (with a cut-off wheel) and cut a thin groove in the center of the weld along it's length. The depth of the groove should equal the depth of the weld to the surface of the base metal plus a hair bit lower to get you started. Then take a cold chisel and try to develop a crack in the weld below the metal surface. If the weld penetration is all the way through, you may have to guessamate where the two metals are joined within the weld and use the die grinder to completely seperate the pieces. I wouldn't worry about removing too much metal when you cut it. If you make your cut as close as you can to the original length, the small gaps can be welded back up after you reposition it.

Own: 1980 Kaw KZ1300,Stage 1 kit,K&N pods
1972 Harley Davidson XHL Sportster, 1972 Suzuki T500, 1974 Hodaka 125 Dirt Squirt, 1980 Honda 250 VTR, 1983 Yamaha 750 seca and a 1974 yamaha GT80 for my son.
Bristol, Tennessee. USA

More
26 Nov 2009 11:15 #336055 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Seperating welded frame tubes?
unomike,

Method noted and filed away mentally for future use.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
26 Nov 2009 16:00 #336074 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Seperating welded frame tubes?
unomike, thanks! Good info. Here's a (rather poor) pic of the weld I want to open as cleanly as I can....

Attachments:

• unomike
  • User
  • Biker for 40 years.
More
28 Nov 2009 09:09 #336270 by unomike
Replied by unomike on topic Seperating welded frame tubes?
OK ... From the pic I can see what exactly the weld you want removed. Follow my instructions on using the Die Grinder and Cold Chisel method. Take your time on cutting a groove (all the away around the part) into the weld then use a cold chisel to start a crack in the old weld. Work your way around the weld to keep the crack growing. Once done, simply tap the piece completely loose. It may be harder than it sounds, but eventually you'll get it loose. And from the pic, it will take some patience on your part.

Own: 1980 Kaw KZ1300,Stage 1 kit,K&N pods
1972 Harley Davidson XHL Sportster, 1972 Suzuki T500, 1974 Hodaka 125 Dirt Squirt, 1980 Honda 250 VTR, 1983 Yamaha 750 seca and a 1974 yamaha GT80 for my son.
Bristol, Tennessee. USA