bracing help

More
25 Nov 2009 18:20 #335951 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic bracing help
Checkout Tony Foale's website . He's worked on KZ frames. See some of the pictures and read some of his ideas and practices under Gallery and Articles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2009 18:22 #335952 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic bracing help
heres mine! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
25 Nov 2009 20:00 #335960 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic bracing help
BohicaBob wrote:

Checkout Tony Foale's website . He's worked on KZ frames. See some of the pictures and read some of his ideas and practices under Gallery and Articles.

Thanks . i have read some of this in the past.
He does some great work. i may even buy his book.
I have not personally, seen any of the pyramid type bracing used on a KZ yet. This may be of use though.
I may build a scale model out of welding rod and experiment.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2009 22:16 #335968 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic bracing help
mark1122 wrote:

on the front lower rails , yours look straight. i noticed that Sanctuary put a bend at the top of theirs. Why do u think they made the bend? why did u make yours straight?
are u going to add the 1's i'm looking for?
Do u have a weave at high speed lean?

Mark, mine have a bend towards the top as well, you can see it in the picture with the steering damper. The reason for the bend is very simple: if you add straight tubes you can't get at the back side of the tube to weld it up ;)

Sorry, I just figured out which pieces you were looking for. I did not do those nor am I going to. I would never want to run tig welds that long along my frame, afraid it would cause stress points all along those seams. They brazed those pieces on which is probably fine (less heat distortion/stress) but I would not tig them. Haven't missed them either, but mine is not a 130bhp (?) race bike on slicks.

No weaves or wobbles at lean (except those caused by operator error :laugh: )
Bracing, suspension, weight distribution (F/R 51/49 on mine) all help. The best mod I ever did was knock 125 lbs of weight off the bike.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
25 Nov 2009 22:20 #335969 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic bracing help
mark1122 wrote:

here is a resent pic. the welding needs to be cleaned up a bit. i also have the brace in front of the seat , ontop of the rails now.

What's with the little tube sticking up behind the neck? Rotary damper? Fairing mount?

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Nov 2009 07:10 #336019 by mark1122
The post on top is for a future steering damper.
I assume my weave is partly due to having less trail, 170 rear tire, and riding at 125MPH.:woohoo:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
26 Nov 2009 07:56 #336021 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic bracing help
mark1122: Here's the first of several pictures of the Kosman Frame Brace kit welded onto one of my '78 KZ1000 frames. I added a couple more braces not in the Kosman kit to help stabilize the steering head even more.

Welded Kosman Frame Brace Kit

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Nov 2009 08:32 #336023 by mark1122
Thanks Bob. I actually have your pic's on file. It's great that guys like u and others, take the time to post these for everyone to benefit from.B)
I plan on adding all i can find and then i will be satisfied that i did the best i could.
I have never seen anyone make the Santuary brace i am after.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
26 Nov 2009 08:54 #336025 by PLUMMEN
id say the easiest way way would be to have a piece of tubing with inside diameter same as outside diameter bent to that same shape the split it down the middle with a band saw and weld it on,repeat for other side. B)

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Nov 2009 09:00 #336026 by mark1122
I'd say u are right .
do u think there are any issues on welding that long a line on the frame? or is it just a case of taking your time and moving around, as not to over heat?

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
26 Nov 2009 09:24 #336039 by PLUMMEN
keep flipping side to side with short beads.remember as the weld cools it shrinks,pulling the metal towards it.i rememer having the idea of putting a frame in a really big oven/furnace many years ago when i had access to people in the U.P shops to heat it up then control how slow it cooled down to stress relieve it ,but never got that experiment accomplished. :(

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
26 Nov 2009 09:36 #336043 by mark1122
is it necessary to do this on smaller the plates at the neck or just something long like these rails?

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)