New bike's back brake stays engaged.

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
24 Nov 2009 03:19 #335562 by Qdude
what should I check first if the back brake seems to not disengage properly?
Master cylinder or Slave?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2009 03:46 #335564 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
Brakes bleed properly, pads within spec and line pressure feels right?

i.e.... The line jumps a little when pedal pressed hard or you can feel the pressure while holding the line... You can witness the pads squeezing but not retracting etc...

If above holds true, then may be time for a caliper re-build...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
25 Nov 2009 03:03 #335806 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
Rebuild the caliper and make sure you clean out the seal groove with a wire wheel on a dremmel. You could also take off the brake pedal clean it up and grease it. Mine was sticking bad and now moves like it was new.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
25 Nov 2009 04:47 #335816 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
The first thing to check is the brake adjustment screw.
Make sure the lock nut has not come loose and the screw has vibrated down and is holding the brake pedal from returning up all the way.
This little thing cost me a lot of time and money back in the 70's at the local repair shop and is one of the reasons I try to do all my own work now.

Good luck, JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
03 Dec 2009 20:59 #337381 by KYKZ1100
Replied by KYKZ1100 on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
I rebuilt my rear caliper and installed a stainless brake line and new pads this summer and I had the same problem. The brake had worked fine before but it seemed like the new pads were too thick and the piston couldn't retract far enough to allow the pads to move away from the rotor. The old pads were still in spec so I put them back on and it's fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

1981 KZ1100A1 Shaft
2007 BMW R1200R

More
03 Dec 2009 21:26 #337382 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
Check inside the master cylinder for the two small holes in the bottom. If one or more gets clogged, the brake piston may not return and apply the brake.

A wooden toothpick works well to open up the holes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Dec 2009 02:46 - 04 Dec 2009 03:01 #337420 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
Would use rear brake pushrod adjuster mechanism to add additional gap between end of the pushrod and master cylinder piston.

See part number 13 on image below.

A too small gap may soon disappear while riding and allow the brake to drag, which may increase heat and eventually lock up the brake.

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image to enhance view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Dec 2009 03:01 by Patton.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
04 Dec 2009 08:00 #337448 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
Patton wrote:

Would use rear brake pushrod adjuster mechanism to add additional gap between end of the pushrod and master cylinder piston.

See part number 13 on image below.

A too small gap may soon disappear while riding and allow the brake to drag, which may increase heat and eventually lock up the brake.

[Click on image to enhance view.]

I have the exact same problem, exact same rear brake assembly.

Part #9 in the diagram, the brake piston, is not descending. The brake push rod, part #13, is retracting just fine. I had to pull the whole assembly off the bike to discover this.

Why will the piston stick in the "engaged" position like that even after the pressure from the brake lever/pushrod is removed?

To qdude, if you have the same problem, it is hard to know for sure with all parts still on the bike because you can't really see that the part #9 is sticking when everything's still attached.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
04 Dec 2009 10:01 #337465 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
There are two holes in bottom of reservoir for transfer of brake fluid between reservoir and bore.

The larger hole is for supplying fluid into the bore, which fluid may be compressed by application of the hand lever.

The much smaller pinpoint size hole is the relief port, whereby pressure is relieved from the line and returned to the reservoir when the hand lever is released.

The small hole sometimes gets clogged, whereby fluid in the lines remains compressed regardless of hand lever position, in which event the brake remains applied.

Would assure the small hole is clean and clear.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Dec 2009 16:37 #337537 by gane
Replied by gane on topic New bike's back brake stays engaged.
Both pedal adjustment/and freedom, and master cyl return vents are excellent suggestions. Another check,,, worn pads and extended piston w/build-up can cause poor piston return. The seals which seal pistons to caliper bores are actually square in cross-section and become "familiar" with piston.with pressure pistons travel, and seal deforms. when working correctly, with the removal of pressure the seal will retract piston slightly. try gently levering pads a couple mm's back into caliper, and watch for piston/pad motion while cycling brake pedal..Luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1