Frame welding?

More
25 Nov 2009 05:44 #335829 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Frame welding?
never did see what part of the frame was being worked on, kind of sounded like he was adding bracing to it since he talked about tubing.
What are the frames really made out of, I would be more concerened about mixing metals.

Just a thought

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2009 08:17 #335852 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Frame welding?
theyre wire welded from the factory,i did a lot of stickwelding on them with less amperage than that in my early days B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• rpiian
  • User
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live
More
25 Nov 2009 09:58 #335861 by rpiian
Replied by rpiian on topic Frame welding?
BSKZ650 wrote:

What are the frames really made out of, I would be more concerned about mixing metals.

I believe KZ frames are of mild steel.

Here's a review on a 1980 KZ750 (found frame type in the specs):

motorbikearchives.com/Bike-Tests/Road-an...KZ750-Four-1980.html

Pretty cool!

Mild steel is cheaper yet similar to chromoly (4130), only with a lower ultimate tensile strength. Fine for our applications (or mine, don't know about some guys here), but not for highly, constantly stressed racing bikes... Mild steel racing chassis's would require more metal (heavier) to have comparable strength to a 4130 spaceframe. That would make a vehicle cheaper, yet fat and uncompetitive.

2006 SV1000S
Carbon Yoshi RS3
ZGDB Smoke Windscreen
Sharealike Clutch Basket Mod
Switchable TRE
13300mi

1981 KZ650 CSR H1
Dual "Pro-Burner" Headlights
ZX-6R Taillight
Tapered Head Bearings
Dyna Wires
Rebel Gears 26T Rear Sprocket
V&H 4-1 Exhaust
20100mi
My little streetfighter...

More
25 Nov 2009 14:06 - 25 Nov 2009 14:15 #335898 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Frame welding?
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Nov 2009 14:15 by polkat.

More
25 Nov 2009 14:17 - 25 Nov 2009 14:18 #335899 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Frame welding?
I have no idea what happened to my last post above? Weird.

Thanks much for the welding advice!! How about using heat to bend tubes? I have two 14" long rear vertical frame tubes (1-1/4" .125 wall mild steel) that I want to cut at one end, bend down about 4" and reweld. I was thinking maybe heat the still welded end and just push it down. Here's a rough drawing of what I'm talking about....

There's no room to use a bender this way and I don't want to kink the tubes, but if I use heat, will it weaken the bend area? This is part of a partial "konging" I'm doing to my KZ750.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Nov 2009 14:18 by polkat.

More
25 Nov 2009 18:27 #335953 by PLUMMEN
as long as you heat/bend it evenly you should be fine,maybe throw a couple gussets in there B)

• unomike
  • User
  • Biker for 40 years.
More
26 Nov 2009 09:31 #336041 by unomike
Replied by unomike on topic Frame welding?
I am a professional welder and the best advice I can give you if you don't have enough experience is to farm out the work to a experienced motorcycle frame welder. On something like this where your butt depends on a strong proper weld, the last thing you need is a bad case of road rash or worse. I know that you want to do all the work yourself, but when it comes to structural work like this, I'd farm it out.

Own: 1980 Kaw KZ1300,Stage 1 kit,K&N pods
1972 Harley Davidson XHL Sportster, 1972 Suzuki T500, 1974 Hodaka 125 Dirt Squirt, 1980 Honda 250 VTR, 1983 Yamaha 750 seca and a 1974 yamaha GT80 for my son.
Bristol, Tennessee. USA

More
26 Nov 2009 11:21 #336056 by PLUMMEN
ive seen lots of shops doing frames here locally for dragbikes that i wouldnt trust to weld a hinge on a mailbox,let alone a motorcycle frame! :S its gonna come down to if you feel confident in your own welding abilitys,if ya dont then farm that part out.but if you feel confident enough to do the actual fabrication part and tack the parts together for somebody else to finish welding that can save ya lot of money,not to mention its fun.id definately suggest a good flat/level solid welding table to stap frame onto while working and a collection of levels and good tape measure to keep your work straight as you go B)

More
27 Nov 2009 03:28 #336111 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Frame welding?
No toes stepped on here Rex. Rock, I never meant to imply 90amps was short of doing good job, just said a 90amp max welder was short of doing a good job. Hope I didn't step on your toes. As for Plummen advice, I totally agree. Every one of us that weld be it for a living or hobbie had to start somewhere, Just be careful, like I said earlier, do you want this going thru your mind at while buzzing up a snaky road. A life it potentially in your hands

More
27 Nov 2009 06:15 #336119 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Frame welding?
Naw, never take it that way here Les... ;)

Just trying to save the guy from blowing a hole in his frame tubing.... That wire feeder he has is more than enough for the thin walled frame tubing...

It's actually thinner than 1/8th" so be careful....
Obtain some test material ~ the same thickness and test your welder current and speed settings first...;)

In my project, my little 110Vac Lincoln Wire-Feed welder was more than enough for that little baby can weld up to 5/16ths of an inch plating with no problems...

As can be reviewed in my project images, I welded up all my supports for the Mono shock mounts, rear sets, electrical components etc... and she's strong as ever...

Hell, If I got run over by an 18 wheeler, the welds would be the only thing that would survive.... :woohoo:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
27 Nov 2009 07:56 #336133 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Frame welding?
Thanks Rock, you are right in that the welder is sufficient but I'm one person who tends to overdue things. The frames on these things are less than an 1/8 thick and rule of thumb is 1 amp per .001 mat'l thickness. The pic I'm posting is from a gentleman close to Indy, it's sporting a swingarm I built for him. If memory serves me right its 8" over with shocks. It's been a while since I did that one.
Les
Attachments:

More
27 Nov 2009 08:06 #336137 by PLUMMEN
thats a lot of swingarm past the shock mounts,if hes running a lot of motor id suggest underbracing the arm. B)