Turning brake disks?

More
12 Nov 2009 21:31 #333327 by polkat
Turning brake disks? was created by polkat
My book say that the front brake disks on my '82 KZ750 are stainless steel instead of cast iron. If true, can they be turned like iron disks can? Or is some special macheinery needed? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2009 22:17 #333331 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Turning brake disks?
I'd call around at the brake shops, some can do SS. See if a metal spray shop can build up the surface like this: www.flamesprayinc.com/services.htm

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Nov 2009 22:21 - 12 Nov 2009 22:30 #333332 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Turning brake disks?
I researched this a while back and here is the general upshot from the net:

MC discs can be turned, however: if they are turned on the typical lathes used to cut car rotors, they will chatter and damage the rotor surface.

There are ways to cut bike rotors but they take different machines and consequently cost more. Instead of a rotating lathe with cutting tools, the rotors have to be cut with a surface grinder that's very precise. from what I understand, places that have the equipment to cut flywheels have these.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 12 Nov 2009 22:30 by bountyhunter.

More
13 Nov 2009 05:26 #333360 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Turning brake disks?
you can turn them but you need a good machine shop that can handle the rotors, the best thing to is th have them ground.
once they have been run they get work hardened, this is why the grinding process should be the best method

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
13 Nov 2009 07:39 #333400 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic Turning brake disks?
Provided your rotors are thick enough and you need to resurface them, do not skim them on a brake lathe, but take them to an engine machine shop and refinish them on a flywheel refacer, making sure the thickness stays uniform. It takes off only a few thousandths, leaving a nicer finish without chattering, eliminates the phonograph record groove effect, takes out the hard spots better, and gives you really smoooooooth braking for about $20 - $30 a rotor. The minimum rotor thickness will be found in your service manual, or stamped on the rotor. Worked great on my bikes and Corvette too.

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

More
13 Nov 2009 08:39 #333414 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Turning brake disks?
oldcoldankles wrote:

Provided your rotors are thick enough and you need to resurface them, do not skim them on a brake lathe, but take them to an engine machine shop and refinish them on a flywheel refacer, making sure the thickness stays uniform. It takes off only a few thousandths, leaving a nicer finish without chattering, eliminates the phonograph record groove effect, takes out the hard spots better, and gives you really smoooooooth braking for about $20 - $30 a rotor. The minimum rotor thickness will be found in your service manual, or stamped on the rotor. Worked great on my bikes and Corvette too.

ditto B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Nov 2009 11:43 #333432 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Turning brake disks?
Good info! Thanks all!