Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wierd exhaust gaskets 21 Mar 2006 23:41 #33292

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have previously used the copper crush gaskets for my exhaust header. However, I have a complete gasket set from ATHENA which includes funny looking silver gaskets for the same purpose. Are these things ok, or crap?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wierd exhaust gaskets 22 Mar 2006 08:14 #33361

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I tried to google ATHENA to get a look at their exhaust gaskets, but couldn't find their site. I did see a gasket kit on bikebandit, but no pics of the exhaust port gaskets.
Were they expensive? Last time I bought copper gaskets from my bike shop (they only had two in stock), I think they were $4.00 each.
Silver plate is a common technique for gaskets, and they may be copper under the silver.
You won't know for sure until you install them and check leaks.
BTW, the copper gasket that I bought didn't fix my leak. I have to try again this weekend.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Wierd exhaust gaskets 22 Mar 2006 11:18 #33395

• gas
  • User
Ya, they are just funny looking buggers. These came with my complete and comprehensive ATHENA gasket kit for the 650 B1 engine. It's not really an issue, but I'm also not into installing the exhaust twice as my header will be repainted and I don't want to chew it all up doinking around. If someone has used these and they work, cool, if no info from anyone, I'll just grab some coppers. Good luck on your leak. I seem to remember someone on the old site using doubled up, used, copper crushers, and they worked fine. Don't think I'd do that but if you have a few old ones laying around, what the hey.....you never know.

Wierd exhaust gaskets 22 Mar 2006 12:57 #33410

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I used them and they worked great for me, no leaks. They are basically silver on the outside so they don't burn and they have gasket material in layers sandwiched in bewteen.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Wierd exhaust gaskets 22 Mar 2006 17:36 #33498

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I used these as well and have had my exhaust on and off about 3 times and reused them and had no leaks. After I rode the bike for a few days I retightened. :)
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Wierd exhaust gaskets 22 Mar 2006 18:01 #33507

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
There seem to be a few different type exhaust gaskets.

For many of the Kawasaki range, Kawasaki uses a hollow copper crush gasket - one use and it's done.

You can get a fiber gasket - looks like the old asbestos gaskets (but it's not asbestos) wrapped on a corregated metal outside. Generally a little thicker - they crush down, but not as much as the copper gaskets.

Interestingly, for some of the bikes (like the Z1/KZ900/KZ1000), you can use some of the thicker Suzuki exhaust gaskets - they have the same internal and external dimensions - just thicker. Useful with some of the aftermarket pipes where the exhaust flanges butt up against the head and still don't seal.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Wierd exhaust gaskets 22 Mar 2006 19:31 #33561

• gas
  • User
Thanks to all. You guys save me a lot of hassle/mistakes. Good heads up for ltdrider also with those Suzuki gaskets.

• Page: