Bringing some shine back to the down tubes

More
08 Nov 2009 18:36 #332212 by YUKABODOS
Anyways,I have been bringing a 650 c1 back to life over the past 8 weeks. I have changed the oil and filter, plugs, cleaned and rebuilt carbs, coil mod, new battery, clubmans, and bar end mirror, and K and N filter and cleaned and oiled the chain.

Today I was planning on doing some cosmetic work on the old girl. She will need to be painted butI have been working on polising up the metal on the side covers and down tubes.

I have completed polisihing the down tubes this afternoon. It made a huge difference in the appearance of the front end.

I used 320,600,scotch bright green pad, 000 steel wool, and medium cut metal polish on dremel. For some of the deeper scrathces I used a wire wheel of my dremel to smooth out the gouges before sanding with 320.

I plan on finishing with rouge, but i will need to buy some. Some people have mentioned that flour can be used as a finihing step. Most likely to help remove residue.
Since I did not have the rouge, I just cleaned them with cleaner and then hit it with "never dull" followed up by some carnuba wax to help seal the surface of the newly polished metal.

I was really impressed at the transformation, before they were dull grey and oxidized and now they are clean and bright.

It did take a while and ideally them forks would be off the bike, but I did not want to go through the trouble, it just took a little longer getting into the tight spaces.

Anyways I will post some pictures when I find my camera.

Yukabodos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.