Steering Stabilizer

• kawastrtfgtr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Nov 2009 00:47 #332083 by kawastrtfgtr
Steering Stabilizer was created by kawastrtfgtr
hi, there are some universal steering stabilizators on ebay,33- 40 cm longs and kz steering stabilizator which one is more useful for kz1000j? and high speeds 90mph up my handlebar starts to shaking.150mph to much shaking.it is hard to control the bike. steering damper is a solution of this problem? or what can ı do for this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2009 03:28 #332084 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Steering Stabilizer
check steering head bearings,wheel bearings,swingarm bearings,tires/rims........

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Nov 2009 06:12 - 08 Nov 2009 06:13 #332095 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Steering Stabilizer
On my '77 KZ650C1, I recently replaced my Michelin Macadam tires with Pirelli Sport Demons. The Macadams had about 6,700 miles on them and they were the source of a high speed (90+ mph) wobble despite being properly mounted and balanced and having much tread left. Below 90 mph the wobble was not noticeable, but even though I only hit 90+ occasionally the thought of the wobble waiting there for me was unnerving. I replaced my bike's wheel bearings, steering stem bearings, and swingarm bushings in trying to eliminate the wobble; I already had new top quality shocks. I'm glad I replaced these items, and doing so reduced the severity of the wobble somewhat, but these items obviously were not the source of the problem as it persisted. After replacing the Michelins with the Pirellis the wobble is eliminated. I have taken the bike up to an indicated 120mph and it is completely stable. As a bonus, the Pirellis have better traction, particularly in braking, than the Macadams. I used a 100/90 V 19 on the front and 120/90 V 18 on the rear using new Metzeler tubes as recommended by Pirelli. These are the same tire sizes as the Macadams I replaced. I have only put about 700 miles on the new tires, so I cannot give a long term opinion, but so far I really like them. I have not yet driven in the rain so I reserve judgment there. These tires have a modern asymmetrical tread pattern similar in appearance to some radial tires. The link shows the tread pattern. I bought mine at Ron Ayers. I have put over 1,000 on the tires; so far I still love them. Ed

Pirelli

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 08 Nov 2009 06:13 by 650ed.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
13 Nov 2009 15:11 - 13 Nov 2009 15:13 #333475 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Steering Stabilizer
I agree 100%. i whent through the same thing but my front tire was out of ballance.
Fix all the bearings first then the tire if it persists. i have had no need for a damper on my KZ . but they do look cool, just the same.B)
as u reduce the rake and trail with a modern front end u may find it usefull. i have been contimplating 1 but, mostly for looks.:laugh:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 13 Nov 2009 15:13 by mark1122.