To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...

More
21 Mar 2006 13:01 #33106 by skippr76KZ
To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance... was created by skippr76KZ
Ok. So on an earlier post we figured my tire guy mounted the tire backwards. So off I went to the local bike shop with my rear tire to get it removed and remounted correctly. Well, I left all the stuff off the tire. Hubs, bearings, rear disk, etc. I should have put it all back on so he could balance it after re-mounting the tire. The questions is: I had it balanced after the first (incorrect direction) mounting. How important is it for me to re-balance this wheel? Or can I keep the original balance weights on it? Technically speaking the only difference is the direction of the tire once I put all the hardware back on. Any experience with this? (Man I hate my dumb mistakes!)

1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2006 13:27 #33116 by mikekz900
Replied by mikekz900 on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
Me personally I would always rebalance whether the tire is mounted or re-mounted. It's just cheap insurance that the tire will wear nice and proper. The most important thing here is safety. You don't want that thing shaking or wobbling around at highway speeds.
Just my thoughts,
Mike

More
21 Mar 2006 13:41 #33124 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
It's mostly the tire that will make a difference in the balance. Once you take it off and remount it, the balance will change.
UNLESS.. they marked the tire and rim and put it back on in the exact same spot. At least that's the way I was always told.:unsure:

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

More
21 Mar 2006 14:11 #33133 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
I know this answer is not politically correct but to answer your question from my experience.
Number of miles ridden, approx 500,000.
Number of tire changes including flats ect, maybe 250.
Number of times bothered to balance wheel, zero.
Number of times I got wheel hop, weird tire wear, any kind of effect whatsoever, zero.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 Mar 2006 14:11 #33134 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
I don't pretend to know much about balancing tires, but if the tireman screwed up in the first place, shouldn't he re-balance it again for free? Say they marked the tire and wheel at 12 o'clock. Now 12 and 6 are the same, but 3 and 9 are reversed. If the tire was heavy at 3, and the rim was heavy at 9, now your weight is all at the same spot? Maybe I'm just talking out my ass, I'm good at that:unsure:

• wireman
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2006 15:16 #33152 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
RonKZ650 wrote:

I know this answer is not politically correct but to answer your question from my experience.
Number of miles ridden, approx 500,000.
Number of tire changes including flats ect, maybe 250.
Number of times bothered to balance wheel, zero.
Number of times I got wheel hop, weird tire wear, any kind of effect whatsoever, zero.

Ron is right on good tires balancing is usually not a problem,but ive also had cheap tires like on my 74(yeah i know ,but they were sitting in the corner and free is free!:whistle: )the front tire on that bike was so far out of balance it scared the hell out of me ,i didnt notice till about 100 mph:S took a lot of weight to balance chen-shing-boomerang piece of trash.id spend a couple bucks just to be safe and have it balanced.goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
21 Mar 2006 17:58 #33194 by skippr76KZ
Replied by skippr76KZ on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
Thanks to all. I especially liked RonKZ650's experiences. That is certainly good to know - and in someways - what I expected to be true. The for-sure thing about this bike is the fact that I'm not like I used to be in my early years - so it's safe. Just the occasional charity run. No hundred mile per hour jaunts and very little mileage planned. So I probably would have been OK not to re-balance....BUT. It's a matter of personal choice. I would always feel like I should have done it by the book. So after thinking about it, I had it re-mounted and balanced. My wallet is $30 dollars lighter. I would take it back to "the tireman", but he's 300 miles away.

1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

More
24 Oct 2006 20:15 #87055 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
so can you balance a wheel when it is still on the bike?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
25 Oct 2006 05:57 #87137 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
if you can lift it and it rotates freely - sure..though it'd be easier on a stand.

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Oct 2006 06:09 #87143 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
tganek says tire balancing is highly overrated:whistle: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :P
Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2006 11:29 #87225 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
ok:evil:

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
12 Nov 2006 06:29 #91395 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic To Re-Balance or Not to Re-balance...
Have never balanced my tires and have had no problems at all...:)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!