• Page:

TOPIC:

Need New Back Wheel 20 Mar 2006 11:27 #32822

• mikekz900
  • mikekz900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Everyone,
I was wondering what everyone does if they are going to a bigger rear wheel. I got my new swingarm last week and I want to have a 17X5.5 or 18X5.5 rim laced on my existing hub. I'm going to stick with the drum brake just because it still has that vintage look and it's polished.I got a quote from Buchanan and it seemed high

1. Where does everyone have this done?
2. How much do you think it will cost?
3. Is there that much difference between steel and aluminum? I know about the weight thing, but I read that there might be a problem with a radial tire on an aluminum rim. Don't understand?
4. Is it that hard to do yourself provided you are pretty mechanically inclined?
5. I know if I stay with an 18" rim I think I can use standard spokes is this true?
6. Or does anyone now of any used ones? This would be ideal because of cost, and just for the sake of ease trying to figure all this stuff out!

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure that I do it right.
Thanks again,
mike

Post edited by: mikekz900, at: 2006/03/20 14:29

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need New Back Wheel 20 Mar 2006 11:41 #32825

• wireman
  • Visitor
i was bidding on an 18"x 5.5" d.i.d on ebay a couple weeks ago everytime i bid on it 2 minutes later the price would go up another buck,i got tired of playing games and let it go.it already had been drilled for screws in bead so i figured id polish it up and put a slick on it and keep it for when i felt wild on a friday night for some dragracing.ill come across another one someday. ;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Need New Back Wheel 20 Mar 2006 13:07 #32848

• mikekz900
  • User
Another question? What rim does everyone use off a modern day sport bike that is about 17x5.5? And what axel would you use for the kz or z1 hub. Is it the same size or does one have this made? Maybe I can just find a used one of these for right now till I have the wheel made. Might be much cheaper! Any suggestions would be great!
Mike

Need New Back Wheel 20 Mar 2006 16:41 #32906

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
If you look through some of the past posts you will see that some KZR readers are installing a ZX7 mono shock system on their bikes or a Sport bike simular . this swing arm will take the larger rim size , You will also see that some are useing a swing arm off a Suzuki 1100E this swing arm will take a 3-1/2 rim , I am not a guru of the KZ , but some that read KZR come close ;)wireman, wired george , Steel , have lots more experiance than I .. You might be going where no KZR reader has gone before installing a rim that wide on a stock swing arm ?? Or did I mis read this ?? Most of us get our used parts off ebay or local junk yards even online junk yards Oh ,, I should say treasure yards not Junk .. Right ?? You might just have to find a wheel that size and go for it ? Maybe one of the other KZR reader that have 17" wheels will jump in here .. Happy First day of Spring by the way ,, Yes it is almost snowing here .. :unsure: :)

Need New Back Wheel 20 Mar 2006 17:04 #32914

• mikekz900
  • User
It is an extended swingarm. 4 to 6 over and I should be able to fit a 200 tire in there no problem although I'm going to go with a 180!

Need New Back Wheel 20 Mar 2006 17:18 #32917

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Sounds nice, what kind of arm is it? are you sure you want to stay with the old hub? newer ZX wheels are the right size, and there are lots on ebay
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Need New Back Wheel 21 Mar 2006 07:56 #33054

• mikekz900
  • User
I had a guy Larry make it for me he is from the board here. It turned out really nice. If someone is looking for a pretty inexpensive way to go this is it. I had it done in an aluminum powder coat till I get everything right then I will have it chromed.

77650 I think I really want to stay with the spoke wheel I just love the vintage look to much to stray. I was just wondering about the zx7 wheel for mocking up, chain length, and making sure I use the right offset sprockets. That's why I was wondering about the axel size on the wheel.

If anyone would like to see pics of the arm or a way to get a hold of Larry I would be more than happy to assist.
Mike

• Page: