Font end swap on 81' 750 LTD

• dangerousdave
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Oct 2009 08:59 #327854 by dangerousdave
Font end swap on 81' 750 LTD was created by dangerousdave
I want to 'update' the front end of my LTD with a fork setup from a newer model and ditch the air forks. Which donor would be a close match as far as dimensions, and would this ruin the handling of the bike?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2009 07:38 #335004 by fifthcircle
Replied by fifthcircle on topic Font end swap on 81' 750 LTD
Thought I would bump this up to the top, and see if anyone can help. I just got an 81 LTD, and am thinking the same thing.....

"What is it with corn anyway?"
-Scott S.

More
21 Nov 2009 10:05 #335038 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Font end swap on 81' 750 LTD
Just a suggestion.... You could get some new progressive fork springs & eschew airing the forks. Also, fork braces come up from time to time on ebbaayy (the brace attaches to the forks just above the fender). And a heavier weight fork oil might be an improvement (either 15W or a 10W/15W mix or whatever feels right).

More
21 Nov 2009 10:24 #335046 by thompsonmx100
Replied by thompsonmx100 on topic Font end swap on 81' 750 LTD
If yo go to ohiocaferacers.com they have a chart there that will help you it has different stem diameters and stuff. Then if you go to allballsracing.com you can cross reference seering head bearings this should help. If you know what you are looking for. Otherwise theres always the stem swap which would allow any frontend to be swapped

2006 gs 500 streetfighter
1982 gpz750 breathed on wreck
1985 gpz750
Kz 650

More
24 Nov 2009 07:44 #335608 by fifthcircle
Replied by fifthcircle on topic Font end swap on 81' 750 LTD
Good info fella's!

I may wait a while on my swap. Since I JUST got the bike, and have a lot of other stuff to do first (tank, seat, bumstop, tune engine etc....) and the P.O. told me that the forks only lost pressue when he would try to check them.

I also have heard that a guy can cut some PVC tube and stick it in place of the air...somehow. Good results?
If it makes it extra stiff, that's ok with me. I'm a bigger guy at 6' 220lbs... :silly:

"What is it with corn anyway?"
-Scott S.