Replacing Master Cylinder after Brakes Locked Up

More
06 Oct 2009 07:27 #325800 by oberkfell
About 2 weeks ago, I was riding along and my back brakes locked up on me. Luckily I was not going very fast or riding around a curve.

Had a local shop rebuild the brakes, front and back. They put new pads on, rebuilt the calipers, supposedly blead the lines and cleaned everything up.

Lucky me. I was out riding Sunday and the damn things locked up on me again. I called the shop back and they apologized and told me I probably need a master cylinder rebuild kit.

Well, I pretty much told them. I'm not coming back for anymore service and I will just do it myself.

Any big issues I should look out for?

My friend is a shade tree mechanic and he will be helping me out.

1977 KZ1000-A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2009 07:34 #325801 by Patton
Would adjust to enlarge the free-space gap where pushrod enters master cylinder.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Oct 2009 09:27 #325814 by 650ed
Do what Patton said. If you don't know how, and if you have the Kawasaki factory service manual, look at the instructions for adjusting the brake pedal. It describes how to adjust the gap. If that doesn't fix it you may have a brake line problem or some serious gunk in the system. Have you changed brake fluid on a regular basis? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Oct 2009 13:18 #325842 by oberkfell
Replied by oberkfell on topic Replacing Master Cylinder after Brakes Locked Up
The brake fluid was completely flushed when they rebuilt the calipers and put new pads on.

1977 KZ1000-A

More
08 Oct 2009 09:24 - 08 Oct 2009 09:24 #326169 by oberkfell
After reading on this board and talking to the original owner of the bike (the jag off I bought it from can die / lying dick) I am going to replace the rubber brake line with a stainless model.

Orginal owner indicated that is probably the issue as it happened to him prior to selling it to the dick above.

He told the dick that there was an issue and he should replaced the line.

Dick face indicated nothing was wrong with the bike and it was a solid 8 out of 10. Only cosmetic issues.

Well, live and learn.

I will post my results when I tear it down this weekend.

P.S. Guy in Columbia, Illinois - FO.

1977 KZ1000-A
Last edit: 08 Oct 2009 09:24 by oberkfell.

More
01 Nov 2009 08:42 #330847 by oberkfell
The brakes seem to be working fine.

Replaced the original brake line with a stainless line from Z1 Enterprises.

Also rebuilt the master cylinder.

Did not adjust the pushrod as things seem to be working ok.

Couldn't get the brake fluid to flow through the brake line so I bought a hand vac. Worked great.

May have to bleed brakes again as I didn't get ride the bike for a very long distance due to the fact it RAINS every day in the Midwest.

1977 KZ1000-A

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Nov 2009 08:52 #330849 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Replacing Master Cylinder after Brakes Locked Up
Sometimes you just have to do it yourself so you know that its right. Sounds like you are making progress.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
01 Nov 2009 09:36 #330864 by tooocool49723
Replied by tooocool49723 on topic Replacing Master Cylinder after Brakes Locked Up
I had my front lock up on me before I changed the brake fluid (ended up tearing the pads off to ride it home on the back brake, fun fun!).

Point of this is that when I took everything apart the return hole in the master cylinder was clogged up in a bad way. So bad in fact that at first I didn't see the hole at all! It blended right in with the other gunk in the reservoir. Took a piece of wire to it, brake cleaner and everything and cleaned it out real good, haven't had a problem since!

So, moral of the story, i'd double check the return hole. It's VERY easy to miss if you don't know what to look for.

Good luck! Not a fun problem to have!

'82 KZ550 "Project"
First bike, 30k miles

Ann Arbor, Mi