Trouble getting throttle/clutch right

More
29 Sep 2009 21:04 #324720 by chrispysaki
Trouble getting throttle/clutch right was created by chrispysaki
I just picked up the middle kz400 (77) for my girl, and I looked like a total bonehead as she followed me on the way home, killing it every other stop sign because I had to rev it up around 3,500 - 4000 just so that it wouldn't die when I let off the clutch.

The clutch was so sensitive that there was only about a 2mm travel distance between in all the way and out all the way, so the other half of the time - when I didn't kill it - it jumped forward on me like I was drag racing.

Is this just a simple adjustment, or something more complicated.

One other thing, a couple of times I tried adjusting the idle screw, and I couldn't get it to drop below 2,000.

thanks,
Chris
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2009 02:03 #324733 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Trouble getting throttle/clutch right
Sounds like the clutch needs adjusted..Check if the throttle cable has any slack when you idle it down the cable could be pulling the carbs open and needs adjusted. A little slack is good, If the cable isn't hanging check for vacuum leaks by spraying WD40 or carb cleaner around the carb intake boots the engine will rev up if theres a leak . Check this stuff first If its not theses things let us know for other things it could be. Good luck with your new bike..

More
30 Sep 2009 04:55 #324745 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Trouble getting throttle/clutch right
There are two separate clutch adjustments.

(1) Slack in cable via knurled knob at handlebar lever and via mid-section fitting near #1 exhaust header.

(2) Clutch push-rod adjustment to allow the required gap preventing disengagement pressure while clutch is supposedly fully engaged, such as when just cruising along. And to also provide sufficient disengagement (spreading apart of the clutch plates) when the handlebar clutch lever is squeezed.

Both are quick, simple, easy adjustments, and part of routine maintenance.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD