I will be tar-n-feathered MY FRONT BRAKE SQUEELS

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
20 Sep 2009 17:41 #322856 by newOld_kz1000
1978 kz1000, put on new brake pads, wow -- how do I get them to stop squeaking? People just want to stay away from me now 'oh shit here comes that squealer.' Neighbors starting to talk, local dogs startin to bite me, various civil authorities cast condescending gazes
in my general direction and SO ON.

I've put 1000 miles on the bike in stop-n-go traffic so the 'glaze' (?) must be wore off by now. And they don't squeal when I'm riding it with hands off the front brake lever -- the squealing starts
when I squeeze the front brake, so that product you
can buy to stop squealing (this product just makes sure
your disc brake puck retreats completely into the caliper
when the brake's not being squeezed) that product won't work here.

Do I need to put a crosshatch pattern on the rotor or something? The rotor upon being measured is in spec in terms of thickness and is not a new rotor, same one as before I bought the new pads (EBC pads).

Shoot, I never wanted to be a squealer when I was
growing up.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2009 18:06 #322867 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic I will be tar-n-feathered MY FRONT BRAKE SQUEEL
Try beveling the edges of the pad, especially the leading edges.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
20 Sep 2009 18:11 #322869 by 650ed
Many of the non-Genuine brake pads squeal. I eliminated the noise by cutting a chamfer or bevel on the leading and trailing edge of the pads and using Permatex anti-squeal on the back of the pads. Also, wipe the rotors clean of dust as this tends to improve things a bit. The best solution is NOS Kawasaki pads if you can find them. Or, you can just let 'em squeal and consider it a safety device (like loud pipes). :P Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• ArthurGoVroom
  • User
  • I'd rather ride it than shine it
More
20 Sep 2009 18:12 - 20 Sep 2009 18:13 #322870 by ArthurGoVroom
Replied by ArthurGoVroom on topic I will be tar-n-feathered MY FRONT BRAKE SQUEELS
I have found on mine that when they squeal, if I take compressed air and blow the brake dust out of the caliper and wipe off the disc with brake cleaner and a rag, the squeal disappears until more brake dust is generated. Unfortunately it only takes about 2 or 3 stops to generate brake dust. I am at a loss as well, so if anybody has a long term solution, give it up. :)

Edit: you guys posted 2 responses while I was typing this, thanks!

1976 KZ900A4, 4-1 header, rear lowering kit, grab bar removed, still shining and painting parts as time permits
Last edit: 20 Sep 2009 18:13 by ArthurGoVroom.

• 1978KZ650SR
  • User
  • If it's not one thing, it's something else.
More
20 Sep 2009 18:25 #322876 by 1978KZ650SR
Replied by 1978KZ650SR on topic I will be tar-n-feathered MY FRONT BRAKE SQUEEL
One of my front brakes leaks too much fluid to actually squeal. I guess i should fix that.

Andrew

1978 KZ650 SR - Custom paint, Kerker cooler, 4 to 2 exhaust, inverted clubman bars.

More
20 Sep 2009 18:32 #322878 by PLUMMEN
if you still have the old factory pads pry the tin piece off and glue it onto your new one B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Sep 2009 19:04 #322895 by JMKZHI
Did you apply brake grease to the backs of them?

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
20 Sep 2009 19:38 #322899 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic I will be tar-n-feathered MY FRONT BRAKE SQUEEL
JMKZHI wrote:

Did you apply brake grease to the backs of them?

Nope, didn't know there was such a thing as brake grease. Didn't know about beveling the edges of the pads either. Will try both -- where do I get the 'brake grease' and what does it do -- allow the pads to rotate in the caliper?

By the way I just had new front brake rotors put on my Jeep and the new rotors came new out of the box with distinctive cross hatch and I asked the Jeep mechanic 'are those rotors used or something' but he said 'NO' and he did not know why the manufacturer put the cross hatching on the rotors -- so I wonder if anyone out there had there

rotors turned on their bike and did it affect squealing?

"Nobody likes a squealer. Except me, Danny."
(Chevy Chase in 'Caddyshack')

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

More
20 Sep 2009 22:50 #322938 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I will be tar-n-feathered MY FRONT BRAKE SQUEELS
650ed wrote:

Many of the non-Genuine brake pads squeal.

+1 The Kawi pads have an anti squeal shim on the back that keeps a little spring load on the pad as it applies. If not, the pad vibrates against the disc face as you apply the brakes. I tried a lot of "fixes" on my squealing pads and none of them lasted very long. I finally got a helmet with better ear insulation.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Sep 2009 22:52 #322939 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I will be tar-n-feathered MY FRONT BRAKE SQUEEL
PLUMMEN wrote:

if you still have the old factory pads pry the tin piece off and glue it onto your new one B)

On mine those are riveted on the back of the pad and have a slight angle for spring load effect. I don't think having a loose shim in their will do any good because the whole thing can still vibrate.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Sep 2009 06:04 #322960 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I will be tar-n-feathered MY FRONT BRAKE SQUEEL
Basically the squeal your hearing is a harmonic vibration. Using the shims or applying synthetic disc brake grease absorbs the vibration hense no noise. Beveling the pads also seems to help. If the rotor could be mounted up some how and spun, you could knock off the glaze with a sanding disc on a drill motor. Kind of like honing a cylinder, without that the rings would never seat. Same with pads, helps them seat better. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
21 Sep 2009 06:56 - 21 Sep 2009 06:58 #322967 by JMKZHI
newOld_kz1000 wrote:

... -- where do I get the 'brake grease' ...

Auto parts stores. I use Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube in the little packets to grease the caliper lubrication points including the backs of the pads (but not the piston of course). You don't need much - the 7g packets are plenty.

Permatex® Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube
Technical Data Sheet w useage info

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2009 06:58 by JMKZHI.