Front wheel bearing install question

More
31 Aug 2009 19:52 #318091 by squints
Front wheel bearing install question was created by squints
Bike: 82 kz1000 csr

So I managed to get the wheel off and apart without incident but I've hit a roadblock.

I made a makeshift bearing press using a 10" carriage bolt, a large socket (roughly the size of the bearings outer race), a wooden plank, washers and a nut. I got one side in, but my manual says to insert the axle and then put the bearing into place.

To me, inserting the axle will assure that the bearings and the spacer are is lined up properly. But is it absolutely necessary? Can just I use my "press" and then insert the axle when it is almost seated and tap everything into place?

If not, can anyone suggest a different way to press in a wheel bearing while the axle is in place.. ?

Any other tips while replacing wheel bearings?

:S

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2009 20:10 #318103 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front wheel bearing install question
I just put a little oil on the outer surface of outer race and used a short (2 or 3") piece of PVC the size of the outer race. Tapping GENTLY and evenly around the PVC slid the bearing in with no problem. Using the PVC the axle could be inserted because it just stuck out through the center of the PVC.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
01 Sep 2009 06:31 #318178 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Front wheel bearing install question
Maybe put the bearings in the freezer first?

More
01 Sep 2009 07:58 #318190 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Front wheel bearing install question
JMKZHI wrote:

Maybe put the bearings in the freezer first?

For SURE do that!
Put them in the freezer for about a half hour(or longer) prior to installing them...it helps like you wouldn't believe. B)

You won't have to "Press" the bearings into place if they have been in the freezer...light taps with a hammer,around the outter edges will seat them nicely,so that if you want to use the axle to center the spacer,you can.
Just be sure to have the bearing laying flat as you start tapping the edges,and don't let any one side get lower than the rest.Tapping across from side to side,working in a criss-cross pattern will set the bearing into place.
Heat the area(bearing housing) with a torch,and when you're ready,pull the bearing from the freezer,and wipe a small film of grease on the outter edge,and set it in place,and start the tapping procedure.
I had one bearing that actually DROPPED into place without having to tap it at all.I was skeptical,but waited for it to get back to room temperature,and tried to pop it out...no way.

Freeze those bearings,and heat the housings...one at a time.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
01 Sep 2009 18:35 #318369 by squints
Replied by squints on topic Front wheel bearing install question
SUCCESS!!!:laugh:

i had those bearings in the freezer and i lightly toasted the hub before inserting both. I was more so wondering if the spacer would become locked into the wrong position if i didnt have it in place when seating the final bearing.

To report back, I used my press and just before it was fully seated i inserted the axle to assure everything was lined up.

everything spins as it should..

I'm BACK BABY!!:woohoo:

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

More
01 Sep 2009 18:44 #318375 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Front wheel bearing install question
WAHOOOOO! :woohoo:

Glad to hear it...right on. B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1